I'm making a standalone thread for this topic.

> I would like to add some comments for subSylvesterMatrix,
> I'd prefer add a reference to the book which this algorithm
> is based on, like "-- Page 20, Definition 1.4.2, Symbolic
> Integration Transcendental Functions, second edition",
> instead of repeating the contents of the book, like
> "-- remove rows from xxx to xxx, except for row xxx".
>
> Opinions?

First, let's focus on comments instead of documentation,
the "--" inline comments for people who wish to understand
and improve the code (of course that implies understanding
underlying mathematics first).

Second, let's focus on mathematical algorithms, which is
huge different from data structure algorithms.

====

Martin:

> In general terms, I think it is better if anyone can contribute
> to FriCAS without having access to a technical library.

Yes, it would be best to have something like an open source
book/encyclopedia for CAS, but I don't think such things
exist.

> Widening out the scope beyond your question. When I am
> browsing code the aspect where I would generally like
> improvement to comments and documentation is: a fuller
> specification of the expected parameters and outputs of a
> function and a higher level overview of what it does as
> opposed to its internal workings which might be deduced
> from the code.

That's the job of "+++" comments, some functions have good
"+++" comments, some do not.

====

Kurt:

> I'd prefer the reference to a book or paper as well, because
> one needs a context, Isolated excerpts usually are not very
> helpful.

Yes, that's mainly my concerns, the context is really important.