Hello Ralf

I'm afraid that this kernel has no future. There are far too many issues
when using newer releases of the required components like SBCL, ZMQ,
Jupyter and a lot of lisp libraries. And to cap it all, there were some odd
changes in ASDF which is required by quicklisp. I probably could fix all
these small problems, however, not fairly soon as I'm really short of time
at present.
Nevertheless, I'm working on a new kernel which is much simpler, more
useful and most important: can be easily maintained ;)
If you are interested, you'll find it @
https://github.com/nilqed/spad_http. Of course, I'd be glad if you could
give it a try on U17.10 (I've only access to U16).
Here the recipe (just in case ...):

1. git clone https://github.com/nilqed/spad_http.git
2. cd spad_http
3. ./start.sh

Note: the first time it might be better to do
1. as above
2. as above
3. start fricas
4. )r start (compiles all lisp files)
5. check in browser: http://localhost:4242/eval?code=D(x^n,x,6)
6. )q

Next time ./start.sh will be enough to start fricas, jupyter nb.

If this minimal implementation is going to work reliably, then it will be easy
to implement all the features.
A great advantage also is (IMO) that one may use the console simultaneously.
Greetings
Kurt