If I use the names 'first' and 'last' in a spad file I get a message:

   Semantic Errors:
      [1]  last is BOTH a variable and a literal
      [2]  first is BOTH a variable and a literal

What does this mean? In spite of the "semantic error" the code
compiles and runs as expected.

If I replace 'first' with a different name e.g. 'first2' and 'last'
with 'last2' then there are no such errors. So far as I know 'first'
and 'last' are not reserved words in spad.