I was also having some thoughs about factoring Expression.

I think it's doable, especially for displaying purpose.

We can use "paren"/"box" to keep the factors.

A quick sketch:

(25) -> exp map(x+->box(x::EXPR INT),factor numer first argument
mainKernel exp(-a^2*x^2 - a^2*y^2))

              2  2    2
           - a (y  + x )
   (25)  %e