On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 05:34:36PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> > http://www.math.uni.wroc.pl/~hebisch/fricas/README
>
> Thank you.
>
> I've slightly modified it and have temporarily put it to my wip/rstdoc
> branch.
>
> https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/tree/wip/rstdoc
>
> I have kept the link to INSTALL,

Well, will look at INSTALL too, but README is shorter...

> but I hope that eventually INSTALL will
> only contain
>
> ====
> See src/doc/sphinx/source/install.rst or
> http://fricas.github.io/install.html.
> ====
>
> And we can eventually improve this
> https://hemmecke.github.io/fricas/install.html
> (or rather the corresponding .rst file).
>
> In my version of the README, I use "statically typed" instead of
> "strongly typed".
>
> I have a strong desire to put "static" here (in contrast to dynamic).
> "strongly typed" doesn't seem to be sooo clear according to
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2690544/what-is-the-difference-between-a-strongly-typed-language-and-a-statically-typed
>
> or
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2351190/static-dynamic-vs-strong-weak
>
> If I look at what they write in the first reference than with our
> "pretend" keyword, SPAD would be weakly typed.

IMO "strongly typed" is better.  There are at least as strong
objections to "statically typed" (namely our types are runtime,
that is dynamic thing).  I think that some fuzzines of
"strongly typed" sends right message.  And I am not too concerned
by formal definitions that some people make: using formal
definitions one can conclude that the only trurly "safe"
language is machine language.

> > A slightly longer alternative candidate:
> >
> > http://www.math.uni.wroc.pl/~hebisch/fricas/README2
>
> > It is hopefully correct .rst.
>
> If you do not want a program like "retext" you can commit it to a
> temporary git branch, 'foo' say, push it to github and then look how
> github shows the text. It's easy to remove the branch from github via
>
>   git push origin :foo
>
> You just shouldn't indent the itemized stuff. But it wouldn't hurt too
> much in this case.

Hmm.  I actually run 'sphinx-build' and looked at resulting
.html.  Without indent itemized stuff was mangled.  With
indent it looked OK.

> > I tried to keep it short.  I would be good to give short summary of
> > FriCAS capablities, I tried to do this in README2.  But is hard to do
> > without writing a lot or assuming that readers know a lot (and for
> > readers that know a lot, short summary probobably is not needed).
>
> I would prefer writing it without that list. Such a list is always too
> short and it is too hard to please potential users.
>
> However, I have added "general purpose" to the first line. That should
> be an important distinction from specialized CAS.

We say this later, but we may also put this in the first line.