On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 12:51 PM Qian Yun <oldk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some decisions need to be made in order to build book with pdflatex.
>
> 1. src/doc/ps/ images.
>
> These are hyperdoc images. They are in ps format, but actually are
> bitmap images.  pdflatex can't handle ps format directly, so I
> suggest to convert them into png format.

pdflatex/xelatex/lualatex can handle eps images just fine.
You can first run ps2eps on the ps files.

E.g. I can take knot3.ps - one of the files, (which is not bitmap, but
a proper postscript) run

    ps2pdf knot3.ps

producing knot3.eps, move knot3.ps out of the way, and then

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphics}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{knot3}
\end{document}

works just fine.
Or, perhaps, you prefer xelatex, then you'd need
 \usepackage[xetex]{graphics}

Dutto for  lualatex, you'd use
 \usepackage[luatex]{graphics}

IMHO one should not use pdflatex, which is obsolete, but switch to
lualatex or xelatex.

Dima