The newsletter went out today about 10 days later than scheduled.  You
will probably not see it until next week.

Unless otherwise indicated, all meetings will be held from 10:30 to noon
at the Society, in the Congress Hotel at 306 W. Franklin St., Suite 102.
On street parking is available. Handicap parking and entrance are
available in the adjacent lot with appropriate identification. Ethical
Humanist Sunday School for children during platform meetings. Call
410-581-2322 for more information or, on the day of the event, to check
for closing during inclement weather. Also check our newsletter and web
site: www.BaltimoreEthicalSociety.org

Sunday Platforms (Details Below)
Promptly at 10:30 am DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE CLOCKS
April 2 *"Letting Go"* Fritz Williams, Leader
April 9 *"What I Learned About Women at the UN"* Phyllis Ehrenfeld, AEU
UN Rep
April 16 *"Spring Festival of Hope & Peace*" Facilitated by Karen
Elliott, Pres.
April 23 *"Common Sense for the Healing Arts"* Robert M. Duggan,
President of Tai Sophia Institute
April 30 *"The Eight Commitments"* Phyllis Duncan, President of the
Northern Virginia Ethical Soc

Other Activities
Sat., April 1, 7 pm Coffee House (see notes below)
April 2, 9:30 am Poetry Group
April 2, 10:30 am MOVABLE TREATS for Movable Feast (see notes below)
April 2, 12:30 pm Board Meeting (Members)
Sat April 8, 6pm Potluck Dinner@ Solomons' featuring Phyllis and Sylvain
Ehrenfeld from the Bergen County Society who are 2 of the AEU
representatives to the United Nations.  Gather at 6, dinner at 6:30.
Call 410.363.3140 for directions and information
April 9, 12:15 pm Ethical Action
April 16, 9:30 am Poetry Group
April 30, 12:15 pm Newcomers

MOVABLE FEAST prepares and delivers meals to AIDS patients, others with
life-challenging conditions, and their families.  The extra calories are
a pleasurable part of their life support system.  If you're interested,
there are other opportunities to serve this wonderful organization.
They're looking for volunteers to serve as delivery drivers, bakers,
kitchen assistants, and events assistants.  For more information log on
to www.mfeast.org or contact Tom Patrick, volunteer manager, at
410-327-3420, ext. 31.  MOVABLE FEAST has provided the following dessert
guidelines: 1) No nuts. 2) No alcohol.  3) Avoid heavy icing. 4) If
possible, prepare desserts in small individual portion sizes-cupcakes,
cookies, separately packaged slices, etc. 5) Label what's in your
package. (Not ingredients but type of dessert: cookie, cupcake, etc.)
Our next Moveable Treats Sunday will April 2.  Keep up the good work!
Contact Fritz, chair of the Ethical Action Group, if you have any
questions.          Fritz Williams

Ron Solomon writes: Movable Feast desperately needs delivery drivers.  I
will offer to make deliveries on Monday, April 3 when I deliver the BES
desserts.  It requires about an hour of time to deliver about 5 meals.
Movable Feast provides the meals and the route.  Any one who is
available about noon and might be interested should call me at
410.363.3140.  Afterwards, we could have lunch. :-)

COFFEE HOUSE ~ Saturday, April 1, 7 pm
Our April Fool's Day host will be the always amusing Walter Massey, with
featured performers poet Rosemary Klein and flautist Jan Seiden.
Rosemary is Exec. Dir. of Maryland State Poetry and Literary Society
,the author of the award-winning chapbook "The Absolute Heart" and a
member of BES.  Jan has performed in concert and at numerous powwows and
cultural gatherings throughout the United States, as well as on
television. She has also conducted successful programs of healing music
for hospital patients recovering from traumatic brain injury, in
non-responsive deep coma, with neuromuscular diseases, and for
seniors' centers rheumatoid arthritis groups. Her solo CD "Woodland
Winds" will be available for purchase.
An open mic will follow the featured artists sign-up at 7 pm.
???         Coffee, tea, and snacks will be available          ???

PLATFORM  DETAILS
April 2: Letting Go Fritz Williams,  Leader
We say it often.  Wistfully.  Regretfully.  "If only I knew how to let
go."   We realize that we're trying to exercise control over our lives
and circumstances in ways that are futile and counter-productive.  Yet,
we speak of letting go without giving much thought to what it is we're
proposing to let go of.  Or how we are going to reconcile letting go
with having strong personal values, standards, and aspirations.  Fritz
Williams tries to get a grip on letting go.
    Fritz Williams is Leader of the Baltimore Ethical Society and serves
as primary speaker, teacher, pastor, and organizational leader.  Fritz
also performs weddings and commitment ceremonies.  He has worked as a
parish priest in the Episcopal church, and as a writer and producer at
public TV stations in Harrisburg, PA, and Detroit, MI.

April 9: What I Learned About Women at the UN Phyllis Ehrenfeld, AEU UN
Representative
Historical and religious images of women are explored and connected to
the struggle for human rights that began at the UN with Eleanor
Roosevelt and continued with Mary Robinson, former High Commissioner For
Human Rights.
    Phyllis wrote:  I Have done postgraduate work at McGill University
School of Social Work, Montreal, Canada, and Dept of Contemporary
Literature at Columbia University. I have received the Arnold Gingrich
Award for the most highly recommended Fellowship in Prose from the New
Jersey State Council on the Arts. Five of my plays have been presented
in Bergen County. I am Contributing Editor to the Ethical Culture Review
of Books. As Representative to the UN from the AEU's National Service
Conference I report, with my husband Dr. Sylvain Ehrenfeld, on the UN in
monthly articles which appear in a number of newsletters and websites. I
am currently President of the Bergen County Chapter of UNA-USA.

April 16; Spring Festival of Hope & Peace Facilitated by Karen Elliott,
Pres.
"Hope springs eternal to the human breast" so it makes sense that each
spring we at BES celebrate spring with a Festival of Hope and Peace.
Come with hopeful thoughts, and be prepared for poetry, posies, and
possibly other spring-like, peace-inducing practices. (Alliteration not
required.)

April 23: Common Sense for the Healing Arts  Robert M. Duggan, President
of Tai Sophia Institute
The solution to the medical system crisis in America is not in fixing
the system.  The only hope for future generations is for most of us to
join in creating a rapidly expanding Wellness System so that the medical
system can be appropriately used for the services it does very well.
Our bodies are very wise teachers from which we can learn to live well
with very minimal medicalization.
    Robert M. Duggan, M.A., M.Ac., a practitioner of acupuncture for
more than 30 years, is President of Tai Sophia Institute, an accredited
graduate school of the healing arts located in Laurel, MD.  He received
his Master's in Education from New York University in 1970, and holds
degrees in Philosophy, Theology, Human Relations, and Community
Organization.  He has a special interest in the unique contribution that
practitioners of complementary medicine bring to the emerging wellness
system in the United States.  He is the author of Common Sense for the
Healing Arts.

April 30: The Eight Commitments Phyllis Duncan, President of the
Northern Virginia Ethical Soc
I grew up with the 10 Commandments, the 7 Deadly Sins, and the Trinity
of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Why is it, then, I find the 8
Commitments of Ethical Culture more appealing and more relevant to my
life? Because I can use them to "fall back on" every day.
    Phyllis Anne Duncan is a Native Virginian and first generation
American of Irish and Scots lineage.  A graduate of James Madison
University with degrees in History and Political Science, she is a
Manager in the Federal Aviation Administration and a proud public
servant for almost 27 years.  A commercial pilot with instrument and
seaplane ratings and a certificated flight instructor, she has been a
charter and corporate pilot, an aviation writer, reporter, and editor,
and currently publishes standardized guidance used by FAA safety
inspectors for their oversight of airlines, pilots, and mechanics.  Ms.
Duncan has been a member of the NoVES for 6 years and now serves as
President of the Board of Trustees for NoVES.  She is also in the NoVES
Chorus, and an Ethical Culture Officiant.  She is the author of a
collection of short stories entitled Rarely Well-Behaved, and is
currently at work on a novel about the political intrigues in the
Balkans and a three-part series on the Oklahoma City bombing.

May 7: The Meaning Of Freedom Fritz Williams, Leader