Dear friends,

Celebrate the birthday of Charles Darwin with BES and the Baltimore
Coalition of Reason! Join us for pizza and a lecture on evolution and
gene manipulation by Dr. Allan Spradling of the Carnegie Institution
for Science. The talk description is below.

When: Monday, February 12, 6:30 pm pizza, 7:00 pm lecture (doors open at 6:15)
Where: Baltimore Ethical Society, 306 W. Franklin St.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/208721979705583/
Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/bmorethical/events/246738771/

We will order pizza for dinner at a suggested cost of $6 per person.
Please RSVP if you would like to eat so we can order enough pizza. You
can join the Meetup event, or contact us by email at
bmore...@gmail.com, or call us at 443-267-8585.

Childcare

Childcare will be provided on request. Please let us know by February
5 if you will be bringing children and we will arrange for a childcare
provider. The lecture will be done by 8:00 pm so reasonable weeknight
bedtime is still possible.

Directions and Parking

Parking is free on Franklin St. after 6:00 pm. A parking garage is
also available at the SW corner of Charles and Franklin. Directions
are at

https://goo.gl/maps/Z8SQuYWzGSx

Title: Can humans soon guide evolution in the wild using gene editing?

individuals of a species that differ in characteristics genetically
encoded in their DNA. In recent years making small changes in animal
and human DNA genomes has become easier due to the advent of CRISPR
gene editing. Will it be possible in the near future to modify
mosquito populations to reduce vector borne disease, or even to make
"enhanced" humans?

Speaker Bio: Allan Spradling is an investigator of the Howard Hughes
Medical Institute and former Director of the Department of Embryology,
Carnegie Institution for Science, located here in Baltimore. In 1982,
Spradling and his colleague Gerry Rubin became the first scientists to
correct a genetic defect (eye color) in a multicellular organism (the
fruit fly Drosophila) using a new method of gene transfer based on
transposable elements. He and his colleagues in the genetics community
subsequently generated and studied tens of thousands of "transgenic"
organisms, revealing the much about what can and can't be accomplished
by gene editing.

Links:

Dr. Allan Spradling's page:

https://emb.carnegiescience.edu/science/faculty/allan-spradling