I have seen similar ocurrences to the "cannot connect to server" incident
mentioned. For us, this was caused by the ftpserver _sometimes_ picking a
(passive) port that our firewall was not allowing through from the client.
I changed the passive port range setting in ftpserver to match the firewall
port range and it has worked ok since. I guess it therefore follows you
could also get this if you have set up a port range and you run out of
ports momentarily under heavy demand. This can also happen with clients
such as filezilla that can open many ports at once to transfer files.

I have also seen the max logins reached error as well for a user account
that was just set up and therefore could not have reached any limit. Since
this was the first occurrence in many months of continuous operation, I
just restarted the server and everything was OK. I might peer more closely
into the source code now.

Best Regards,

Gary Bell