Hey, cool paper. Speaking of phrack, if in the future you have an article you think is print-worthy but is rejected by most zines, try sending it to Binary Revolution <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Although they're newer and have had some delays in getting new issues out, they're starting to re-focus on the magazine and the number of their supporters is growing. Sorry if this comes off a little advertisey, but hopefully if more people write in then BinRev can publish more original articles about vulnerabilities which can then make it back onto the web as sample articles.

Berend-Jan Wever wrote:

Hi all,

This one got rejected by phrack and I couldn't be arsed to rewrite it so it
would make the next edition:
"Writing IA32 Restricted Instruction Set Shellcode Decoder Loops" by SkyLined
( http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever/whitepaper_shellcode.html )

The article addresses the requirements for writing a shellcode decoder loop
using a limited number of characters that limits our instruction set. Most of
it is based on my experience with alphanumeric decoders but the principles
apply to any piece of code that is written to work with a limited instruction
set. (It's a continuation on rix's and obscou's work for phrack).

Comments and questions welcome, but I can not guarantee an answer to n00b
questions.

Cheers,
SkyLined

http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever