Details
================
Software: Rating-Widget: Star Review System
Version: 2.8.9
Homepage: https://wordpress.org/plugins/rating-widget/
Advisory report: https://advisories.dxw.com/advisories/rating-widget-debug-mode/
CVE: Awaiting assignment
CVSS: 5 (Medium; AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)

Description
================
Rating-Widget: Star Review System allows anybody to turn on debug mode and view
errors and warnings

Vulnerability
================
The plugin allows anybody to turn on debug mode and view errors and warnings.
Errors and warnings should be turned off on production sites as they reveal
information useful to attackers such as paths, and may give hints as to how
themes and plugins are written.

Proof of concept
================

Add 1/0; to functions.php in the theme
Enable this plugin
Visit http://localhost/?rwdbg=true
(You may need to view source, depending on the theme)
You will see a PHP warning, including the path to your functions.php file

Mitigations
================
Upgrade to version 2.9.0 or later.

Disclosure policy
================
dxw believes in responsible disclosure. Your attention is drawn to our
disclosure policy: https://security.dxw.com/disclosure/

Please contact us on secur...@dxw.com to acknowledge this report if you
received it via a third party (for example, plug...@wordpress.org) as they
generally cannot communicate with us on your behalf.

This vulnerability will be published if we do not receive a response to this
report with 14 days.

Timeline

2017-10-30: Discovered
2017-11-02: Reported to vendor via email
2017-11-03: Vendor reports it will be fixed in the next release
2017-12-12: Vendor reports issue fixed

Discovered by dxw: