Having quite a bit of experience parsing text files from printer output,
some helpful advice:

Quite a few situations can be handled with Monarch
(http://www.datawatch.com/), but it is neither cheap (over $500), nor does
it work 100% (~90% is more realistic) of the time.  I have not used version
9, which is their latest. I would email their sales department and see if
you can get a trail if you have interest in going this route.  If you have
lots of data file and most of it is similar, but different enough that you
would need numerous variations of a parsing script, the investment could be
well worth it.

If you are writing a parsing script by hand, get a text editor that has line
and character positions list in it.  My personal favorite is Ultra Edit
(http://www.ultraedit.com/).  Unfortunately it is not free (~$50).

I am a programmer by nature, so I would be amiss if I didn't point out that
VB.Net (or C#) 2005 Express is free from Microsoft
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/) .  Yes, it is one more language
to learn, but it's got good documentation and I find its data handling
superior to javascript.  It will allow you one to make EXE files over
scripts. Did I mention it will show line and character position of the file
you are in?

Sometimes, and only sometimes, Excel can be a good option.  If you are a wiz
with Excel functions and your data file is line oriented (versus one
"record" per page) I would go this route.

Output meant for a laser printer frequently has the first "page" contain
layout information, showing where data is and is not output.  That is your
friend.

Fields are almost always longer than the data you are using to test with.
Make to take that into account.  There may be 20 spaces reserved for a piece
of information, but your testing data may only use 10 characters.  In
general assume that data can run up to the point of the next piece of
information.

It is not uncommon to have a few lines at the front of the file as a header.
You will likely need to discard them before you get into the page by page
parsing.

Depending on the source OS, different characters are used for line breaks.
This sometimes causes a problem.  The most straight forward way to fix this
is to upload, then download, the file from an FTP server in ASCII mode.
This will translate for you.  Sophisticated text editors will also typically
handle this.

Cheers.