---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:12:56 -0500
From: Bob Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
    [EMAIL PROTECTED],
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Globalization Book: Star Editorial

http://www2.thestar.com/thestar/editorial/opinion/981228NEW01_ED-GLOBAL.html

      Toronto Star Editorial         December 28, 1998

  Back Issues             Rethinking globalization

                  Globalization seems to have us in its
 [Image]          jaws.

                  The International Monetary Fund has just
 [Image]          cut its forecast for Canadian growth next
                  year - for the third time in the last 14
 [Image]          months - citing the impact of the Asian
  [Navigation]    crisis on the world commodity markets on
 [Image]          which we depend.

                  The Canadian banks used the globalization
                  of financial markets to justify their
                  attempts to merge.

                  Finance Minister Paul Martin argues for
                  the need to change our tax system to make
                  it more like those of our global
                  competitors.

                  Despite these effects and constraints on
                  the way we do things, most economists see
                  the growing interdependence in the world
                  economy as a plus.

                  But a few wonder whether globalization
                  has, in fact, gone too far.

                  In a recent book asking that question,
                  Dani Rodrik, a Harvard University
                  professor of international political
                  economy, blames globalization for
                  increasing the income disparity in the
                  U.S. by keeping wages low.

                  He claims that there are various channels
                  through which the international economy
                  impinges on domestic labour markets:

                  * By giving corporations a great deal more
                  leverage or bargaining power over their
                  workers.

                  * By changing norms and institutions.
                  * By undermining social support systems.

                  Globalization effectively forces economies
                  to restructure. The shake-up that follows
                  makes some people winners, some losers.

                  But as Rodrik asks, how can labour expect
                  to win when employers can credibly say:
                  ``Don't ask for wage increases, don't ask
                  for improvements in labour standards or in
                  work conditions, because if you do, we can
                  go elsewhere.''

                  Recognizing that some Canadians would lose
                  because of its free trade deal, the
                  Mulroney government promised in 1988 to
                  bring in the best adjustment package ``in
                  the world.''

                  But there never was an adjustment package.

                  And our governments subsequently have
                  forgotten about the impacts of free trade
                  - and globalization generally - when they
                  cut welfare, unemployment insurance and
                  money for training.

                  Critics of the Canada-U.S. free trade deal
                  no doubt would find many parallels between
                  Rodrik's analysis and the concerns they
                  raised a decade ago.

                  As Rodrik's book reminds us, those
                  concerns, unfortunately, have not gone
                  away.

            Contents copyright © 1996-1998, The Toronto Star.

   Bob Olsen, Toronto            [EMAIL PROTECTED]