Thank you for this. I've never seen it before, and it sure goes to the
heart of things. By the same token, farm labourers would work about ten
minutes a day and factory workers  about the same amount of time. That
being the case, it would be simpler  for everyone just to pay them not
to work, as we pay (mostly) big time farmers and agribusiness) not to
grow things-- and as we risk human health and who knows what else to
enable farmers to produce a greter surplus of milk with the help of
rBGH, so that Monsanto may fatten profits. Just as we pay many
industries to pollute, making many harmful practices so cheap that
better practices (or energy sources) can't compete with them.

A large part of the problem is the fear that people would not work if
they were not pressed by fear and necessity. The truth has always been
that most people have always been eager to work if given something
really useful and not too horrible to do. There is also the secondary
fear, that people who didn't face starvation would have to be paid
enough to live decently, which makes unemployment very popular with
employers. Now that there is no where near enough economic work to go
round, we can no longer afford these fear-driven prejudices.

Caspar Davis