Thomas Lunde wrote:

> Ed Wrote:
>
>      All of these? I would suggest there will be no end of work.
>
>      Ed Weick
>
>      Thomas:
[snip]
>      How
>      can you have an economy when there is minimal employment to
>      create markets?

(I don't know who said what in the above....)

I agree that there will be no end of work, but this conclusion
seems to me to branch in two directions:

  (1) There will be no end of *real* work: caring for the sick and
      disabled, educating the young, etc. (Although this work
      might be able to be reorganized to be done in more
      rewarding and less stressful ways than at present.)

  (2) But capitalism with its apparent inability to provide
      "use value" without making profits ("creating markets", etc.)
      may also entail that there will be no end of *make work*:
      advertising, model changes ("planned obscolescence"), etc. --
      conceivably under even more stressful working conditions
      than at present.

And, of course:

  (3) There will still be the real work of making food, etc., and
      dealling with all the "side effects" of technology, from
      development of resistent "bugs" in nature to thoroughly
      artificial problems like the Y2K computer "bug".

All this is obvious, but I would invite all the techno-
zillionaires like Bill Gates to reorient themselves to trying to
solve these social problems --> as a *challenge*, a "hobby", etc.
The issues are intellectually challenging (so their high IQs
should be stimulated by it), and working on such problems
might even bring to these persons who, even today, are free to
choose how to spend their life-time, greater "immortal [or at least
historical] glory" than merely doing technostuff.

I hope this contribution has not wasted digital and
human "bandwidth".

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[SGML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/