---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:19:35 -0700
From: Suzanne Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PUBPOL-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Position Announcemnt

   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to [EMAIL PROTECTED] --_

Redefining Progress currently has the following position open:

REDEFINING PROGRESS
Position Announcement

Position Title:         Research Associate—Resource Incentives Program
Start Date:             6 Month Temp. Appt.(October 15, 1998-April 15,1999)
Supervisor:             Director of Resource Incentives Program
Location:               Washington, D.C.
Salary Range:           $32,000-$36,000 (FTE)

Redefining Progress (RP) is a non-profit public policy organization that
seeks to ensure a more sustainable and socially equitable world for our
children and our children’s children.  Working both within and beyond the
traditional economic framework, RP generates and refines innovative
policies and ideas that balance economic well-being, the environment, and
social equity.  We inject policies and ideas reflecting these values into
public dialogue, policy discourse, and individual decisionmaking in
compelling and non-partisan ways.

We organize dialogues about national progress, conduct research and
translate findings into policy-sensitive publications; convene research and
policy meetings, press briefings and conferences; and organize strategic
media initiatives.  We do not, however, advocate on behalf of specific
legislation or positions. Key target audiences for our work include the
general public; federal, state, and local officials; and local and national
opinion leaders.

RP currently has three program areas:  Indicators, Resource Incentives, and
Equity Analysis.  As new opportunities arise outside of our program
areas—but which fit into our overall mission as an organization—we seek to
include these strategic initiatives as a part of our work.  The Resource
Incentives program at RP is best known for its work on environmental tax
shifting, and we are now expanding our work into new areas.

Framework

As the United States debates the manner in which it will address global
warming, the most likely scenario is that domestic reductions will take
place through market mechanisms, probably through emissions permits.  It is
also likely that these permits will be given away to current polluters
rather than sold or auctioned.

Redefining Progress argues that these highly valued permits should be
auctioned rather than given away.  A permit giveaway, when compared to an
auction, would create a drag on the economy and would eliminate a source of
revenue that could be used to address transition and equity issues.  In
fact, not only will using auctions help ensure a more equitable outcome to
the global warming problem, but we also argue that any climate change
policy will fail politically if equity issues are not adequately addressed.
 We are thus embarking on a multi-year campaign to promote the use of
permit auctions.  This effort will involve building the intellectual
framework for the idea, educating the media and key decisionmakers,
building a broad coalition in support of the auctions proposal, and
facilitating grassroots support of the issue.

Responsibilities

The primary responsibilities of the Research Associate will be to assist
program staff in developing the materials, resources, and contacts for this
campaign.  The Research Associate will conduct research, literature
reviews, and interviews to develop a series of six to eight politically
savvy and hard-hitting background papers.  The papers will be relatively
short—two to six pages—and each will address one important issue related to
auctions (e.g., auctions and equity, auctions and transition costs,
auctions and market prices).  They will explain in clear, concise language
and graphics why auctions are a preferable approach for reducing carbon
dioxide emissions in the United States.  While writing these papers—which
will be released over a two-year period—is the most important short-term
responsibility for this position, the Research Associate will also
represent the organization in meetings with collaborating groups,
associations, public officials, and government representatives.  The
position also affords the opportunity for speaking engagements and/or media
appearances, depending on the experience and skill of the candidate and the
speed in which the campaign moves forward.

Please note that this position is a full time, temporary appointment.  This
position may be developed into a permanent position dependent on RP’s
strategic planning and future funding.

Qualifications

· M.A. in Public Policy with a specialization in economics and/or
environmental issues OR equivalent experience (3-5 years) in economics,
public policy, and/or the environment
· Strong writing skills, particularly in writing short, persuasive pieces
that convey complex issues in comprehensible, engaging language
· The ability to think quickly on one’s feet, work independently, be
resourceful, and take initiative is essential
· Networking experience and contacts within the environmental or economics
community and the media
· Understanding of—and commitment to—economic, environmental, and social
equity issues
· Candidates with prior advocacy, public speaking, or professional writing
experience will receive preference

Please send resumes &/or CV's to Attn: Search, 1 Kearny St. 4th. Fl., San
Francisco, CA 94108; Fax:(415)781-1198; email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Suzanne Murphy
Managing Director
Redefining Progress
One Kearny St., 4th Floor