FYI - My response to a fund-raising letter from the DCCC.

-- Charlie Reid
Executive Producer, Community Prespectives
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Salus populi suprema est lex" (Cicero)
The welfare of the people is the highest law.
----------

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
430 South Capitol Street, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003

Greetings!

As your records may show, I have been a consistent contributor to the
Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, increasingly so since the
Republican took the Congress in 1994.

Yet I am saddened by the direction of the Democratic Party. (You may
recall that the California State Party rejected Campaign Finance Reform.
At a bad luncheon, the party chaiman joked about it as he explained the
high price of a bad meal. That's when I ceased contributing to the state
organization.)

Now there is another serious issue at hand: Fast-Track authority for the
MAI Treaty.

If Democrats in Congress vote with Republicans to give the President
fast-track authority and/or should the President sign such a treaty, I
shall seriously consider abandoning my lifetime allegiance to the
Democratic Party and ending all future support. Whatever good the
President may have done, this will negate it all, because it will bring
the nation closer to transitioning to a component in a system of global
Corporate Feudalism, where all politics and economics will be controlled
by the equivalent of market fiefdoms, over which local citizens and
communities shall have no democratic power or control. This will be
disastrous for our nation in the coming millennium. History will record
President Clinton and conservative administrations as Corporate
Feudalism's prime mover, and the world's decline toward global
barbarism, where predatory holders of mass wealth rule, and rule not by
rational law, or any sense of social justice.

I, therefore, consider it to be in my interest, and in our nation's
interest, to withhold all contributions to Democratic Party organizations
anywhere until this issue becomes clarified.

Sincerely,
[signed]
Charles J. Reid
Executive Producer
Community Perspectives,
A Program on Community Television of Santa Cruz County