Tom - Thanks for the question. I meant to leave the definition of basic
economic security a bit open, but perhaps it would be helpful to all to
suggest that it might consist of secure access to the necessities of life
(realizing that what are 'necessities' can be forever--not very
usefully--debated) and to whatever additional resources are required for
individuals and families to participate fully in their communities (e.g.
kids can afford to join organized sports.)  FWers - please feel free to
send responses to the list as well as (or instead of) to me.   Sally