[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Walker) wrote:

>>by Ian O. Angell
>>
>>Professor of Computer Science, London School of Economics
>>Personal advisor to Ernst Stavro Blofeld
>
>Ernst Stavro Blofeld? It seems to me that with this allusion Angell is
>telegraphing rather broadly that THIS IS SATIRE. Blofeld is a fictional
>character, Angell can only be playing the role of his "personal advisor".

This is what I surmised after being assured this really was one of Angell's
speeches, when it was posted here the first time. The thing is, I
had heard him interviewed on CBC radio (Sunday Morning?) and his
deadpan is so masterful (and at that time his material was not quite
so over-the-top) that I assumed he was deadly serious. If he can
continue to walk the very edge of the reducto ad absurdum, his
performance as agent provocateur for the forces of sanity and
compassion will be invaluable.

                              -Pete Vincent