From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gile)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Comments
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:26:30 -0800

I was interested by your repost of the article "Money & Human Rights Out of
Date", thought it outrageous, but very provocative.  As I studied it some
more,
I saw his reference "Personal advisor to Ernst Stavro Blofeld"  which turns
out
to be a James Bond character - which caused me to consider it a spoof.  But
as I
prowled around, I found that Ian Angell is a real person, who is on the speech
circuit pushing the envelope on other things also -
"Economic Crime: Beyond Good and Evil" a 1996 paper he published in the
Journal
of Financial Regulation and Compliance.  http://www.sgrm.com/art25.htm

He is also included in a Strategis paper on Alternative Views on future
employment on a commentary on Jeremy Rifkin.
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/it03932e.html

My reaction to the Money and Human Rights article is that the serfs like us
will
just have to opt out - if we don't buy, they can't sell.  Seems that if one
follows the survival recommendations for Y2K, we are heading in the right
direction.  His scenario presumed that no taxes, no society, no responsibility
etc. is good for business, but without us, there is no business.

My wife commented on the origin of the word "boycott" - how people ostracised
Captain Boycott - I'd not heard of it, so I searched and found the following:

"The story of the 'Land War' over the next two decades is part of Irish
history
rather than of the Mayo story specifically. Mayo, however, played a prominent,
and sometimes violent, role in the struggle. Almost half of what were termed
'agrarian outrages' (maiming of cattle, destruction of property, wounding and
even killing of land agents, landlords, and those who were considered 'land
grabbers') in the early 1880s occurred in Mayo, Kerry and west Galway. At the
same time, Mayo attracted international attention, and in the process gave
a new
word to the English language, by initiating a rather novel form of non-violent
protest. This involved a campaign of ostracisation against Lord Erne's Mayo
agent, a Norfolk man named Captain Charles Cunningham Boycott, whose
efforts to
secure the harvest from the estate on the eastern shore of Lough Mask
necessitated the importation of some fifty Orangemen, mostly from Cavan, and a
force of about a thousand soldiers and police to protect them. The campaign
against the 'Boycott Relief Expedition' was orchestrated by Father John
O'Malley, parish priest of Kilmolara (resident in the Neale), and it was he
who
suggested the term 'boycotting' as being easier for his parishioners to
pronounce that 'ostracisation'. The unfortunate Boycott realised by late
November 1880 that all his efforts had been in vain (the harvest had cost over
10,000 - 'a shilling for every turnip dug' said Parnell), and so, taking his
family with him, he returned to England until the agitation had subsided. The
land agitation was gradually resolved by a scheme of a state-aided land
purchase, under which the tenants became full owners of the land. A series of
land purchase acts provided the finance which enabled the tenants to purchsae
the land from landlords and repay the loans with interest over a number of
years. Tenant farmers became owner-occupiers within a generation and in the
process created the foundations for the politically stable society we enjoy
today."
http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/History/H18to19.htm

No parades, shouting, signs, etc.  Just ostracism. Hmmmmm.

John Gile
Victoria, BC

   Bob Olsen, Toronto            [EMAIL PROTECTED]