Dear Bob:

It is January 3rd, and as I sit in my warm house, typing on my computer
while one 8 year old daughter watch's TV and another lies abed, enjoying the
last of the school break, I read your message and I decided to imagine a
worst case scenario exactly one year from now.  My story is at the end of
your message.

>Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:17:08 -0500
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Bob Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Bob Olsen's Friends & Y2K
> Hi.............
>
> This is the most important email message that I have ever written.

> SUBJECT: Canadian governmental responsibility to ensure the
>          safety and well-being of all Canadians in regard to
>          the threatened consequences of the Year 2000 problem.
>
> Written by Bob Olsen, Toronto, 1 January 1999
>
> Permission is hereby granted to forward, duplicate or print
> without profit as long as authorship is recognized and a
> copy is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Introduction:
>
> My purpose in writing this is, first, to help Canadians to
> understand that they are threatened by the Year 2000, Millennium
> Bug or Y2K problem, and to encourage you to demand immediate
> action by municipal, provincial and federal governments.
>
> My second purpose is to convince all levels of government in
> Canada that they have a responsibility to act, now.

>1. What is known?:
>
>   The Government of the UK, the US President's Year 2000
>   Commission, the RCMP, and the Government of Ontario, none
>   of which could be described as alarmists, have publicly
>   advised people to begin storing up food and water for the
>   Year 2000.
>

>2. QUESTIONS:
>
>   A. Why should people store up food and water?
>
>   That advice implies that the governments know that there is
>   a threat of disruption of water service and food supply.
>
>   B. Why should the water supply be threatened?
>
>   I have talked to City of Toronto water officials and read a
>   little bit, and I expect that the water supply system is the
>   is least likely municipal system to fail.  It is the least
>   complicated.  Although, any system might fail.
>
>   I expect that the water system is reasonably secure (almost
>   guaranteed), as long as there is electricity.
>
>   Thus, I believe that what the authorities are really saying,
>   is that there is a significant risk of electrical supply
>   failure.
>
>   C. Why is the electrical system at risk of failure?
>
>   I leave you to read the thousands of pages available on-line
>   on that topic.  I am not an expert on anything.
>
>   D. What risk is a significant risk?
>
>   If, as a society, we have a responsibility to prevent one
>   death in ten-thousand population by implementing inoculation
>   or public health programs, that is because we agree that the
>   risk of one death in ten-thousand population is too high.
>
>   My guess is that a 3-7 day disruption of electrical service
>   might lead to an increase in the City of Toronto death rate
>   by more than one in ten-thousand population. Again, I'm no
>   expert.
>
>   We know that government authorities have advised people to
>   store up food and water for the Year 2000.  But, since they
>   have not explained why they said that, we must infer why they
> [...]

The Maybe Future

We all stayed up on New Years Eve, not knowing what to expect as all the
major networks assured us that even though there may be some disruptions,
Civilization as we know it in Canada would continue, though there might be
some consequences.  It was quite exciting and as we waited, I reviewed the
preparations I had made, we had candles, firewood for the fireplace, a
couple of weeks of food, the deep freezer was fairly full, I had blankets
and winter clothes - even extras that I had picked up at Value Village.  I
had a set of tools, an axe, a shovel, sockets and wrenches etc and my
expectations were probably fairly hopeful, that though there might be some
disruptions, it would only be temporary.  My 83 year mother and 77 Aunt
lived about a mile away in a modern house in the suburbs, we lived in a
townhouse complex about one half mile from the Ottawa river, close to the
greenbelt that separated Ottawa proper from Orleans.  Mother and Aunt Min
had been raised on a farm in Alberta in the homestead years and old as they
were, they were still active and had memories of skills of pioneer living -
while to a lesser degree, so did I and I had experienced cold and isolation
and some hardship from my many years of working construction up North.  Now,
I would be 60 with two daughters aged 8 and 11, their mother working away
from home in California.

At 12:02, the lights went out!  we waited, the fire in the fireplace
creating a cheerful cozy atmosphere, the outside temperature was 25 below
and a light snow, we laughed and giggled as we ate some fast food snacks and
prepared for bed.  I was worried about the water freezing in the pipes and
shut off the water and tried to drain the system.  We could already feel the
house cooling down and I suggested we all bring our blankets into the living
room and sleep on the floor near the fireplace.  I thought of phoning mom -
no phone.  About 3 pm, we all fell asleep, two cats, one dog, a dad and two
kids.  I had dampened down the fireplace and I had brought in lots of wood
which I had stacked in the dining room, knowing that only dry wood burns and
produces good heat.

We woke up in the morning and the house was cold, even the living room was
chilly and I set about nailing up blankets so that we effectively moved into
the living room and the rest of the house was isolated so none of our heat
would go there.  Already, there was ice in the toilet.  We went to the
bathroom in a pail, which I would empty outside later in the day and then I
had the kids dress in layered clothing to prevent heat loss.  I knew wood
would go fast at this temperature and so I wanted to get us all used to a
house of about 60F rather than the 72F we were used too.  Breakfast, milk
and cereal this morning and then listening to the battery powered radio, we
heard that all power grids in Ontario had collapsed and crews were working
to try and restore power.

It was cold outside with a brisk North Wind, I walked the dog and talked to
a couple of neighbours also out with there pets.  We all were in good
spirits, and talked of our experiences, expecting that problems would be
solved and that we just had to get through several days.  I left the kids
and walked a mile to my mothers place and found them chilly but cheerful.  I
nailed blankets up to isolate the living room and kitchen and made sure they
had plenty of firewood.  They had a propane campstove to cook on and
suggested I bring the kids over later for a meal. I agreed.  There was some
automobile traffic but most were doing what I was doing, isolating a small
portion of the house and trying to keep it warm.

Water - we take it for granted - turn on the tap, out it comes.  No water,
of course we all had containers filled but it took only a few uses to
realize that it would go quickly.  I felt fortunate that we were close to
the river and I did a trial run in the afternoon, going down to the river to
get a five gallon container filled.  It was much more difficult than I would
have thought, the kids came along and we had a toboggan but it still was
hard
physical work breaking a trail through through fresh snow, trying to get the
container filled without getting wet or falling through ice and then on the
way back, the kids were tired and cold.  As I stood in the living room, I
realized how time consuming it had been to get about 4 gallons of fresh
water home.  We listened to the radio and were told not to go to work or
school, stay home and conserve food and heat, some problems had been fixed
but there were still major problems, especially with the nuclear plants
which had been shut down as a precautionary measure and now they wouldn't
start.

By day two, I realized that we should move over to Mothers to conserve heat
and food and to help them.  We started loading the toboggan with our food
and water supply and I made two trips on day two, Mom and Min did the
cooking and looked after the girls.  Went to bed exhausted.  Next morning, I
found out that my wood supply had been raided and I had lost about a cord of
wood I had stockpiled.  It was to be expected I guess, people cannot freeze
when wood is just lying there.  I noticed a few neighbours had went down to
the river for water and a couple were coming back with some deadwood they
had gathered.  It was still cold and we were warned on the radio that we
could expect perhaps a foot of snow tonight - apparently the weather
satellites were still working.  We were now, four dogs - my mom and aunt had
three, two cats and two girls, two elderly and me.  We had about a month's
supply of food, I estimated, maybe a few weeks of fuel, a few weeks of
propane.  We were all jammed into about 400 sq ft and cleanliness was
already going out the window.  Still no good news except the government, the
army and all the technical people at the utilities were working night and
day to get something up and running.  I wondered who was looking after their
families.

Day 4, a request from a neighbour who had burned up most of his wood and had
tried to heat his whole house - did we have any extra wood?  What to do, to
give him wood lessened our long term survival chances and I had young and
elderly to look after.  I offered to go out with him and scrounge a toboggan
load of wood and help him get his house isolated to just the living room.
It took most of the day.  His wife was frantic as we nailed blankets and
cardboard into the walls and his children looked scared.  I gave him as much
advice as I could.

The storms over, it's warming up a bit.  Still no electricity, no good news
on the radio.  We are slowly accepting the limitations of our situation, no
entertainment, hard work and some discomfort.  Neighbours are beginning to
come out and groups are forming on the street as people talk about their
situation and some of the solutions they have attempted.  Everyone is still
optimistic and there have been no personal crisises yet, no injuries, no
frostbite, no hunger, but there is a feeling that we will soon need some
assistance and the worrying fear that everyone in the Province is in the
same boat, so who is going to help who?  A few of us ask that we try and
isolate our little Crescent area and hold a meeting to assess our little
communities needs.  Some are reluctant for fear they will be asked to share
and some are desperate as they realize that their situation is more critical
than they thought.  The meeting is set up for tomorrow at 10 pm.

Day 5 dawns cold and sunny.  About 25 men and 15 women show up for the
meeting.  We share some information.  Water is a problem for all of us, we
all now realize that melting snow takes heat energy and is not a good
solution.  A few people have no cooking facilities as their campstoves had
only a little propane which has been used up.  A few have airtight wood
heaters that can provide a stove top, but most of us relied on propane and
there is no replacement.  No stores have opened and there has been some
looting, the police are still on the streets and we have seen a few army
trucks.  We are made aware that few people require medicine in the near
future and two ex-military types offer to contact the Army and see what is
available for help.  We drift away, each lost in his own question, should I
ask for help, should I share if others ask me for help.  We are all facing
the realization that the situation is not going to go back to "normal" like
we had hoped.

By January 7, and a few more meetings, we had decided to isolate our
Crescent and set up common cooking areas, and common heated areas to
conserve food and fuel.  Some didn't like this idea and they stayed self
sufficient.  We heard of a family several blocks away that had frostbite
problems and that there was a Dr. who had set up a little clinic a few
streets away.  That afternoon an individual came by from another street and
said that a big meeting was being held for the suburbs on the north side of
the freeway at the United Church for 10 pm tomorrow and could we sent a few
people.  The army was going to be there to give us an update.  We all were
getting worried, food was going much faster than we thought it would,
families were under incredible stress and there was major tensions about
food and water resources.

The meeting was chaired by a harried looking Major.  About 200 men and women
filled the cold Church, there was no way to heat it.  We represented, I
would guess about 10,000 men women and children.  Because we were in an
upscale area most of the men and women were in their 30's and 40's and there
were many who had children.  The Major brought us to order.  Things are bad
in Ottawa where the population densities are very high and very few
resources, we should organize some security for those who may try and come
to the suburbs to loot.  There was no good news about electricity, though
there was some possibility the that old Hydro Electric Plant built by the
Eddy Company could be taken out of the grid and brought back on line as it
had old pre computer technology still working.  However, it would only
supply about half of Ottawa's basic needs and we probably wouldn't benefit
out in Orleans.  Neighbourhoods had been organizing and there was some
rudimentary distribution of food and medicine but the Army had to watch
their own petroleum supplies.  Basically, it came down too, we were on our
own for the foreseeable future, organize, share, and conserve food and
energy.

Feb 1st, after a month of extreme winter weather, our nice clean suburbia
has changed.  Over half the men and many teenagers are on permanent wood
detail, traveling further and further afield.  Most wooden fences are gone,
many porches and garages have been sacrificed to the urgency of heat.
People are grouping in houses at about 10 - 12 people per house and only
using one floor.  Dirt is everywhere, it smells, people get irritable.
There have been a number of deaths and some serious injuries - its been
quite a shock for many to see a dead person.  Streets and roads have been
replaced by trails.  Infrastructure is being cannibalized, telephone and
electric poles have been used for wood, cars have been stripped of
batteries.

Our food supply is critical, though there have been a couple of drops from
Army convoys which have been scouring farms for dead animals, grain and corn
storage.  The idea of eating for taste has disappeared, community kitchens
provide a basic soup or stew.  Some clothing is getting in short supply like
winter boots and gloves.  Some of the women have been teaching the girls to
knit, sew and mend.  Most houses are deserted, furniture used for fuel,
ransacked for anything of survival value.  We still have radio and some of
our engineers have a blacksmith shop working and a way to charge batteries.
No major city in North America has got it's electricity back.  Spare parts,
critical personnel who have had to return to their families, even desertions
from Army units have reduced our ability to repair the electrical grid.
There are a few small communities that have gotten electricity back and
Ottawa is about 25% electrified but it is severely rationed for government
and Army needs.

Water is still a critical problem and a large number of men and women spend
their days wearily plodding down to the river and back to get water.  Two
months to spring and then what?  We hold a council.  We need to go out to
the farms and see if we can get more food.  We need to make an alliance with
some farmers to help them plant crops so we will have food in the summer.
We realize that we need to disperse our population, we have used up almost
everything of value, 10,000 people do a lot of damage to a small area.
Small groups are organized and start out to build these liaisons.  For most,
we continue the daily, dreary round of survival chores and watch the cold
days of February go by.  Groups return, having found farms that are
abandoned or farmers who are willing to allow groupings on their farms.
They, we find, realize that they need muscle labour as there is no fuel - we
have went back two hundred years.  Famine is a possibility, we have to make
it to spring and we have to get something planted so we can eat and in our
future, there is another winter looming.

The government has asked for certain skill sets, they are still trying to
get a core area of technological civilization going.  We donate quite a few
men and women as we are an educated technological elite.  Between those
leaving for farms and the government, we are not stressing the life support
so much, though people leaving have the right to their share of our common
resources.  The radio tells us of others, some have reverted to barbarism,
some are experiencing famine and death and disease, others are coping but
everyone is short of something.  There is no trade yet, we are eating the
body fat of our civilization to survive this first winter.  This is our
reality, the days of a job, a paycheck, schools, a clean house, tasty food
are a distant memory as the immediacy of our needs drives our interests.
There are no more police patrols, the supermarkets are empty gutted barns,
houses have been torn down for heating material.  A sort of tribal council
government is starting to emerge as certain people become the natural
leaders and are asked to make decisions.  Tribal role models of labour are
reasserting themselves, children are working, women are responsible for home
and hearth and food, men do the backbreaking work.  We are all skinny,
dirty, and fearful.  The survival line is thin, the odd pet ends up in the
stew pot.

We have learned civilization is a fragile thing.  It was not petroleum that
was the critical resource, it was electricity - specifically, it was the
electrical grid of interlocking generating plants of various types creating
a common pool of energy that could be distributed and reconverted into heat,
light and mechanical energy.  That mechanical energy provided us with the
tools to saw wood, build roads, create entertainment.  With it gone - it was
back to muscle power.  The criteria for life became 3000 calories a day,
anything that was edible was eaten.  Life was not fun.  It was one desperate
solution to another trying to gain another day until summer came, the chance
to slow down and begin to prepare for another year.  Yes, we could rebuild,
but it was going to be different.  The 20th Century was gone - it would
never return.  The future would be different.  Values had drastically
changed.  Words like neo con or elections and political parties were as
obsolete as words like priesthood or nobility.  The 21st Century would
rebuild and this Century would find it's own place and judgment in man's
history.

Is this our future?

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde