 Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:00:45 +0900
 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Blackwell)
 To: Multiple recipients of WFC-L <wfc-l@[192.168.0.225]>
 Subject: [WFC] A single NAFTA currency

 I came across this further federative trend deep in the bowels of the
 business section of yesterdays Ottawa Citizen (Jan. 9, 1999).

 "A near-certain Canada-U.S. clash over culture and the study of a shared
 dollar between the two countries will highlight the bilateral relationship
 between the world's two largest trading partners in 1999.

 "A robust initial period of growth for the euro, the new currency for most
 of Europe's strongest economies, will increase pressures on Canada and the
 United States to consider the possibility of a common dollar, Canadian
 Ambassador Raymond Chretien said yesterday.

 "'If it (the euro) would be a successful one, it would have to be looked
 at,' Mr. Chretien told reporters.

 "The ambassador, who is Prime Minister Chretien's nephew, was careful to
 point out that any possibility of a shared currency would be several years
 away from becoming a reality and would be fraught with political risk.

 "A shared currency would involve pooling monetary sovereignty between the
 two neighbours, and perhaps Mexico."

***** END of FORWARDED MESSAGE *****