I was very interested in the posting concerning Zhou
Guangzhou's speech to the China Association of Science and
Technology.

A Canadian working in Ottawa as an economist and policy
consultant on environmental and other issues, I was invited
in 1986 to participate in a China - U.S. Scientific and
Technological Exchange. The purpose was an exchange of views
and of information with professionals in China having similar
interests and responsibilities. We made presentations to
Chinese officials and academics in several centres, and
listened to presentations by our hosts.

It was a most interesting experience, with China's new
openness to the world and its new free enterprise system
clearly in evidence. However, despite their having an earlier
and different tradition to draw upon, it appeared that the
Chinese approach to conceptualizing the environment-economy
relationship was little different from our own (an approach
that I hold to be demonstrably in error). I was therefore
struck by Zhou Guangzhou's recent statement: "China needs a
new development road and models that are different from
Western countries for its sustainable development." I can
only applaud this insight and hope to reinforce it. The issue
is of concern to more than China.

The following are some excerpts from the presentation that I
made in the city of Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, in 1986.

"I am happy to have been invited by my American friends to
join in this science and technology exchange visit. My
friends have presented a detailed and current picture: I
shall be taking a general view over the long term future.

"I hope you may find some use for China in what I say, but
you should know that I hold an unusual viewpoint both in the
Western world generally and in my own country. This viewpoint
is now held by only a small minority of persons in North
America. However, I believe their numbers may be growing. I
prefer to think of my viewpoint not as a minority viewpoint
but as a leading viewpoint. It may show the direction in
which those of us concerned with environmental protection may
want to lead events, may want to give direction to the
economic and social planners.

"My viewpoint, or perspective, suggests that an approach to
the environmental problem that consists of fighting pollution
and providing environmental protection without first altering
the way we think about environment may be misguided. The key
idea in my viewpoint is that we are making an error in our
economic and social planning (and) in our development plans.
We are treating society and the environment as two
interacting entities, without first locating society as
WITHIN the environment. Yet we know from the findings of
science that we are located in the biosphere on a small
planet, that we live inside our environment.

"This means that the logic of our thinking about economic and
social and environmental development, when we think of them
simply as interacting, is incorrect. They interact in a
special way -- one within the other. ...What we should be
doing, from the beginning of our economic planning, is to
accept the fact that the economy functions within the
environment. This is a simple point but a very important one
with many consequences.

"It is not easy to do this kind of correct thinking because
it upsets so much of our usual viewpoint. ...The people who
have learned to think this new way foresee a very different
development path for the future than the industrial path
taken by European and North American countries, and now
perhaps being followed in its turn by China. In this respect
China, whose industrialization is now proceeding, may have an
advantage if you will think through the questions of the
logical relations between society and environment and make
your economic and social plans and develop your technologies
on a corrected basis.

"The assumption that environmental exploitation is viable is
an assumption that is embedded in almost all of the
technologies of the developed world. Your importation of
these technologies should therefore be marked by extreme
caution. Were you to pursue your industrialization and
develop your technologies synchronously with environmental
protection, as you propose, then technology transfer might
proceed in a different direction from that which is currently
supposed. China could exploit what will undoubtedly be a
growing world market for ecologically responsible products
and technologies."

"...In terms of public education there is very little social and
economic thinking and writing...along the lines I am talking
about. Nor are there yet teachers. However...once the
planetary and ecological principles are grasped, it is my
view that education then best proceeds by using the peopleÕs
own practical experience and encouraging them to discuss this
in the light of a planetary ecological perspective, in
consciousness-raising groups...."

"Again, I hope that you will recognize that the view I have
presented is not a widely-accepted perspective -- it is still
an unusual view. ...(But) I hope you find these ideas to be
interesting and thought-provoking. I have certainly found
them to be this way in my own life and work. ..."

--
Gail Stewart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]