>From: "Jay Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Perhaps we need to emulate the Chinese system.  (keywords: "scientists", and
>"the economy is self-destructive")

Emulate what? Pondering alternatives? We're doing that. What has China done
to distinguish itself from every other "global economy" puppet state?

>----------------------------------
>Scientist Says Chinese Development Different from Western Countries
>
>Xinhua
>12-JAN-99
>
>BEIJING (Jan. 12) XINHUA - Zhou Guangzhou, the vice-chairman of the Standing
>Committee of the Ninth National People's Congress (NPC), said today that
>China needs a new development road and models that are different from
>Western countries' for its sustainable development.
>
>Zhou told the annual meeting of the China Association of Science and
>Technology that China's large population and shortage of natural resources
>mean that it needs a new mode of production and a new style of economizing
>on resources that is environmentally friendly and uses latest research
>findings.

The Western engineers will be so pleased. No more market for McDonald's
in China? Of course, getting the Chinese people to accept a "new mode of
production" and "new style of economizing" will be difficult, given that we
keep pushing the American Dream and our industries down their throats, telling
them "with hard work and dedication, you too can have a 5 bedroom home
in the suburbs, a shopping mall on every corner, and 3 cars in the garage."

>Zhou, also president of the association, said that the serious flooding last
>summer revealed the problems in China's economic development like the
>destruction of forests. Scientists need to advise the government and spread
>knowledge among leading officials to promote the coordinated development of
>the economy, society and the environment.
>
>The China Association of Science and Technology has 4.3 million members. Its
>annual meeting provides a forun for scientists to discuss their major goals.

I think it's better to have scientists at the helms than politicians, corporations,
and capitalists. Of course, under the present conditions they all tend to sort
of BLEND together...