I caught a 5 minute interview of N.Z. Prime Minister Jennie Shipley on CBC
Newsworld

Part of that time was on Proportional Representation

While my knowledge of Proportional Representation in NZ comes mainly from
the opinions expressed on CDD Listserv by a New Zealander, I was very much
unimpressed by the views expressed by PM Shipley, egged on by CBC
Interviewer Don Newman

Her major opinions (prejudices in my opinion) are:
1       that N.Zealanders are unhappy with the "indecisiveness" of Proportional
Representation compared with the former         FPTP (first-past-the-post) system;
2       that Proportional Representation gives undue influence to smaller parties

"a smaller party, in proportional terms, carries a greater degree of
influence of power than the large party (sic) … in fact that is an inequity
in itself . . . we have a minority leading a majority . . .", she says

Seldom have I heard two people manipulate the truth as blatantly as Shipley
and Newman

Think about it!!

1       Would you rather have dictatorship, or "indecisiveness"

2       If three parties have, say, 42%, 35%, and 23% of the popular vote (or
make up your own numbers), which is more        fair:

a       that one party have a virtual dictatorship?
b       that the 42% party should form a coalition with the party of its choice,
and govern in some kind of a compromise?
c       other (I personally prefer "other", which would include Direct Democracy,
but will reserve further comment till I hear    from others)

What do YOU think??

Colin Stark