True, we are overpopulated in Europe with reference to land.

The big difference is that we are externally resourcing our needs in large
part - Africans generally aren't (apart from aid inputs). In fact, if I
recall correctly, more protein goes out of Africa as exports than stays
for indigenous consumption (at least that's what Susan George said in the
70s, wonder if it is still the case).

Hence the reality of our position is obscured by market relations. Disrupt
those relations and watch the industrial populations die off like flies
:-( would be my guess.