Kansas State Board of Education bans teaching of economics:
"There's no proof of an invisible hand."

    The Kansas State Board of Education voted to
    ban economics from the curriculum of its
    public schools citing a "profound lack of
    scientific evidence" that Adam Smith's
    invisible hand of economics exists. During a
    public debate on the issue preceding the vote,
    members of the state board expressed concern
    that students were being indoctrinated into
    capitalism based upon a leap of faith in a hand
    that cannot be proven. "If it's invisible, we
    cannot see it and therefore it does not exist. In
    addition this concept flies in the face of our
    requirement that students of Kansas public
    schools keep their hands visible at all times,"
    said board member Faith Mercy. High school
    economics teachers from Kansas were
    indignant at the ban. "Granted there is
    considerable economic theory that doesn't
    seem connected to the real world, but this
    demonstrates the laws of supply and demand
    work. The school board demands we stop
    teaching economics and we supply an
    abundance of reasons why they're nuts," said
    teacher Herb Stinson.

( http://www.bobsfridge.com/august.html )