Dear Friends, all,

I snip then comment
----------
>From: Bob Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Cure for the cancer of capitalism (Korten)
>Date: Mon, Oct 4, 1999, 11:27 pm
>

> Over the nearly 600 years since the onset of the Commercial Revolution,
> we have as a species learned a great deal about the making of money and
> we have created powerful institutions and technologies dedicated to its
> accumulation.
>
> But in our quest for money, we forgot how to live.

**************

David Korten's contributions are excellent, and we can help his analysis
forward.

It is not clear that each generation opts to go on a "quest for money."

Rather, each finds itself born into an economic system bequeathed by its
parents (and one which they, largely also, had 'laid upon them.')

I see capitalism as a systems fault.

The fault is, firstly, philosophical:

    € the belief that anything (Marx' 'means of production - land, money,
knowledge found in productive facilities) *can* be owned.

    [ This is, palpably, is non-sense.]

Secondly, that those owned resources can be:

    € used for personal benefit (sic)

    [ Rather than for the commonweal (and within a care-full stewardship of
the planet.) ]

These thoughts, historically, have developed into the  challenge to usury, a
debate which has been effectively stifled in very recent times.

    € Thus many (most) books don't (yet?) include 'The U-Word' in their
indeces.

So, I invite folk to check books (even dictionaries and encyclopeadias) for
the u-word, and even notice the amount of weasling that goes on, in many
that do have it, around the true meaning of this word.

Dance onward, friends!

hugs