Sometimes it is important to to break down the barriers that prevent
inovation.
"One amoeba said to the other (with a wink?) a million years ago, "think of
the potential."

Christmas '88
        At this time of year the contrasts of material and spiritual affluence and
poverty are especially highlighted. A new season with it's invitation to
reform and resolution beckons, and we take the time to assess the futility
of the past year's good intentions and appraise how little society's
systemic problems have changed. Perhaps it is time to take a fresh, bold
new look at the problems and some alternative solutions.

        Bearing in mind two quotes, "If you can't find a solution, you haven't
correctly defined the problem", and "Sometimes the solution is less
acceptable than the problem", let's do a quick review of some of our most
pressing problems.

        Housing - I don't think anyone will argue that thousands of people are
living without housing, with inadequate housing, or in housing they can't
afford. One of the root causes of the shortage of affordable housing is the
number of single parent andor single income families. The single parent
family in most instances being a direct result of failed relationships
which in turn could not survive the financial strain of the single income
imposed with the onset of parenting.

        Day-care - No one would argue that the lack of affordable day-care, both
pre and post failed relationship is a consequence of inadequate income, and
is a serious problem that our society is faced with and needs to address
forthwith.

        Spouse and child abuse - This is another area of mounting concern for a
growing number in our midst. Surely it is accepted that it is stress which
calls our demons from the dark recesses of our minds and causes actions
which no rational person would engage in. What greater stress than the
silent ego bashing that takes place when a provider, bringing all their
skills to bear, cannot provide adequately, (According to T.V. inspired
standards), for those they have accepted economic responsibility for and
see their offspring as an added economic burden at the same time as
depriving the family of it's second income.

        We as a society must make a choice in finding a solution to the problem of
failed relationships caused in turn by economic pressure. The widespread
failure of our social structures is obviously breaking under the weight of
the demands of our economic system. We have to choose if our religiously
based social value matrix is going to shape our economic values, or if we
will allow our economic system's values to shape our social institutions.
If we decide that economic values shall predominate, then I expect that an
acceptable way out of our current mess, our solution, will probably be
found in ……polygamy.

        There must be many potential spouses whose skills are better economically
utilized in the marketplace than as home-makers, spouses and parents, just
as there must be many spouses whose skills are more valuable in the home
than in the marketplace. We have to decide the priorities of our values.

        In one fell swoop, three major social problems could be solved, and a few
minor ones besides. An obvious bonus is that the insidious wreaker of
relationships, money, would be caged if not banished.

        Who can argue that thousands of children do not need a second parent in
order to develop a sound psychology? Who can argue that by bringing
separated single parent families to-gether that the pressure will not be
taken off the housing market, perhaps even bringing prices down so that
more polygamous families can afford them? Who can argue that three or four
spouses, living together will allow each other or their children  to be
abused? Who can argue that two, three or four incomes in a family would be
un-welcome?

        Houses could become even bigger to accommodate the larger families, think
how happy the municipal politicians would be with the increased assessment
from the bigger homes and a simultaneous reduction of the welfare rolls. We
don't even have to mention the advantages of being able to deduct several
spousal tax exemptions to see that the advantages are enormous.

        When we really take a good look at the alternatives, any objections pale
to insignificance. Truly, it is an idea whose time has not only come but is
demanded by the economic times in which we live.

Ed Goertzen