Mary Bedard wrote:

> After hearing from my family member who lives in the Puget Sound
> area, I would encourage restraint in jumping to conclusions about the
> violence in Seattle around the WTO meetings.
[snip]
> He later added the following comments:
> Approximately 600 people were ultimately arrested. The "cowards" all
> in black stated they were Anarchists.

Well, there are Anarchists and anarchists, like there are
communists and Communists [esp. Stalinist flunkies and
"fellow travelers"].

It should be noted that, according to Hannah Arendt's
exegesis in _The Human Condition_, the classical
Greek polis was a form of an-archy, because, in the
polis, there was no structured government of some
citizens by others, but rather all the citizens
collegially [an-archically] shaped a life in
common.  Also there is Marx's lovely vision
of a "communistic" future, in which "the administration
of things will replace the government of men" (an-archy,
i.e., lack of hierarchical "government", again).

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/