From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 9:49 PM
To: 'Keith Hudson'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] FW: <toc>-Free Trade Accord at 10: Growing Pains Are Clear (NYTimes)

Keith,

Well said!

The problem for Bush is that the recession probably was no more than a shake-up in the economy in which the less productive were thrown out.

We are now producing as much as we did before but with fewer people. That’s why we have the unemployment problem.

Of course when we get rid of the free market and choose a controlled economy, those pockets of inefficiency tend to build and solidify. So, when the shake-up happens hundreds and perhaps thousands suffer.

In a free market situation, a firm doesn’t easily gather fat. A few people here and a few people there are released, but the firm has a chance to change things for the better.

That doesn’t happen in the severe fluctuations of a controlled economy.

Harry

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net