From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:14 PM
To: Webmail: Cordell, Arthur; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
Cordell, Arthur: ECOM
Cc: futurework@fes.uwaterloo.ca
Subject: RE: [Futurework] FW: Decades of Stagnation: Low-paid
WorkinCanada/Des dcennies de stagnation : Le travail faiblementrmunr
auCanada

Arthur,

Getting rid of unions in the US might make the present 15% of
union workers unhappy - but the rest of us might be better off
with lower prices for goods. You may have seen that GM pointed
out that union costs add some 15% to the price of a car.

In fact, with things getting difficult, GM's answer might be to
declare bankruptcy which will get them off the hook albeit with a
disastrous effect on union pensioners and present workers.

As it is the unions are in league with their industries to
support tariffs (at our expense) so their lush contracts may
continue. You may remember that some 5,000 members were paid by
the unions to hit the election streets to campaign against Bush.

You will have to ask the "working poor" about the minimum wage.
They have jobs - presumably at minimum wage - yet need extra
money from the government to get along.

Darryl's solution is a higher minimum wage yet this poses
difficulties. When labor gets too expensive, it is replaced.

We just had our winding street up the canyon resurfaced.

A man in a machine came up the street grinding the road smooth.

On another day, another man (maybe the same one) drove a
brush/vacuum cleaner combination to clean the street.

A third machine (again, maybe the same man) laid the asphalt
along this three quarter mile street.

Once road-building was the way to sop up excess labor. Not any
longer.

I wonder what happened to our fantasies about those three
machines - and a thousand others - enabling us to live well on 30
hours a week? Or 20? Or, even 10?

What has happened to us that in spite of our enormous power to
produce, it is still so hard to make a living? That's the
question Henry George asked more than a century ago. It's about
time we answered it.

Harry

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles