This CBC news item is a little more than a month old, but I don't imagine
things have changed for the better since then.  And yes, it does help me build
my reputation as the gloomiest poster on the Internet.

Newfoundlanders and Maritimers have moved out to Alberta to work on the oil
sands because there ain't no more fish.  Looks like Ontarians will join them
because nobody wants them to build cars anymore.

Ed

Thousands protest auto industry job losses
Last Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2007 | 9:29 PM ET
About 30,000 people attended a labour rally Sunday in Windsor, Ont., to protest
what the Canadian Auto Workers union says is a job crisis in Ontario cities
that rely heavily on the automotive industry.

A smaller rally held in Oshawa, Ont., drew about 600 people.

In Windsor, participants braved rainy weather for the march organized by the
CAW and other labour organizations. They broke into three groups as they walked
past different auto plants in the city before converging for the mass rally.

More than 100 cardboard tombstones were erected at the site of that rally, each
bearing the name of a company and the number of people who have lost their jobs.

The border city has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country - 9.4
per cent in April, compared with the national rate of 6.1 per cent - although
many labour leaders say the latter may be deceptively low because many new jobs
are part-time or temporary.

Much of the high unemployment rate in Windsor stems from job cuts in
manufacturing, particularly in the auto sector. The city has lost $2 billion
and 17,000 jobs in auto assembly and parts alone in the past two years.

"Just with the turnout rate, less cars mean less jobs, and that means more
layoffs and more people out of work, and it's bad for our communities," CAW
worker Neil Klassen told CBC News in Windsor.

Union president Buzz Hargrove told the Canadian Press the federal government
needs to do more.

"Let's get off some of the arguments we are having in the House of Commons and
deal with the real issue," he said.

Oshawa has lost 7,000 auto parts jobs in the past 12 months, the CAW said.

The so-called Big Three automakers - General Motors, Chrysler and Ford - have
all had massive layoffs in the past few years, but in Windsor many smaller auto
parts plants have closed, with jobs going overseas.

Labour groups are organizing another rally for Wednesday on Parliament Hill to
press various levels of government to do more to stop job losses in the
manufacturing sector.

The provincial government recently announced it would hold an economic summit
in Windsor in August to look specifically at the problems faced by the city and
surrounding area.