I repeat what I said in an earlier posting: "It's not money, it's us".  I
won't repeat the rest of what I said, but it had something to do with us
using anything we can, and certainly money, to make ourselves individually
or tribally wealthier and more powerful.

How might that be changed?  A few evenings ago I watched part of a TV
interview of a man who kept insisting that to work properly a free
enterprise economy needs three things: a market, a good set of laws
governing market behaviour, and morality.  Being a religion guru, he kept
emphasizing morality, and I can't say I disagree with him.  His general
point was that we can all repeat little bits of catechism like the Golden
Rule or "a penny saved is a penny earned" without having them have any
impact on our behaviour.

In economics 101, we were taught that money is supposed to be a medium of
exchange and a store of value.  In its function as a medium of exchange, it
was supposed to provide a sound and stable way of moving goods and services
around the economy.  In today's world, ever so much of it is used to make a
quick buck by trading our money for another currency or by betting that
securities, many of dubious value, will go up in price in a relatively short
time.  As a store of value, it has pretty well lost its meaning.  A dollar
today ain't going to be a dollar tomorrow.

So, what has to change?  I keep thinking about what the religion guru said
about morality.  We have to change our way of doing things and to do that we
have to change the way we think about things.  Can we?  At this stage of
development as Homo Sapiens Sapiens, I doubt very much that we can.  We have
been liberated from the trees and given new toys, but that's about it.

Yet some things do seem to work when one thinks of cases like Conrad Black,
Enron and WorldCom.  Cheaters and chiselers have been indicted.  But will
that change us?   Again, I seriously doubt it.  For every way that's
stopped, new ways of cheating and chiseling will be found.

Complicating everything is the fact that we have now become thoroughly
globalized.  What we can't produce here, we can produce over there.  What we
can't get away with here, we can get away with over there, etc.

When it comes to resource use, it's become pretty obvious that we are going
to hit a wall -- perhaps a series of walls.  I notice in today's paper that
the price of food is rising rapidly, making it more difficult to provide
food aid to the third world poor.  A reason given is that agricultural land
is moving from food to ethanol production.  And if we haven't already
arrived at peak oil yet, we will soon and begin the downward slide to the
unaffordability of the many things we now take for granted.

Which brings me back to morality.  I believe we become more moral when we
absolutely have to, not before.  I sometimes toy with a dreamlike scenario.
We hit a series of walls and then hit a big one that brings us down into a
dark world like the one Cormac McCarthy depicts in his Pulitzer Prize
winning novel "The Road".  Those of us who are left will wend our way up to
the monastery on the hill and there we will plant potatoes, carrots and
onions and learn to live together cooperatively and peacefully.  We will
have found a livable morality.  At least for a time.

Ed