I think I'm getting into this more deeply than I should without doing a lot
more reading, perhaps including Benjamin Graham, but I would agree that the
international monetary system we have today is not really very much like the
system agreed to at Bretton Woods. As I understand it, the latter was based on
the gold standard and fell apart when President Nixon took the US off the gold
standard in 1971. What has happened since then is that the US$ has become the
major global reserve currency against which other currencies are valued and
Bretton Woods designed international institutions such as the IMF and the World
Bank have essentially become extensions of the American empire.

With the US$ as the major international reserve currency, ever so much depends
on what is happening, or perceived to be happening, to the US economy. Will the
perception of the US economy be one that encourages international dollar
holders to maintain their reserves and continue to use the US$ as a means of
payment or will it be a pessimistic one that sees the dollar sink in value and
be displaced by another reserve currency such as the Euro? The current
instability initiated by the sub-prime mortgage debacle is not something that
would inspire confidence.

I don't know if we could ever return to an international commodity based
currency such as the gold standard which prevailed from the latter few decades
of the 19th Century to the first few decades of the 20th. Despite the wars that
went on, there was as lot of stability back then. Gold standard countries were
colonial powers able to access tradable commodities, including gold, from their
colonies. The world is more divided and volatile now.

Ed