Whatever they did, Europe's masters of their colonial empires knew they were
doing the right thing and that God was with them.  The following is from
Patricia de Fuentes, ed. and trans., "The Conquistadors. FirstPerson Accounts
of the Conquest of Mexico".
". Cortés . After occupying Tenochtitlán . he and his troops had to fight their
way out of the city to sanctuary .. Years later . a former follower of Cortés
who had become a Dominican friar, recalled the terrible retreat .. "When the
Christians were exhausted from war, God saw fit to send the Indians smallpox,
and there was a great pestilence in the city. . . ."

The history of colonialism is very cruel stuff.  A few years ago I accessed
data that showed that the population of Guatamala fell from some 2 million in
1520 to about 200,000 by 1620.  Black Africans were brought to the Americas as
slaves because the Amerindians that had been enslaved died off in large numbers
because of "virgin soil diseases" which Africans were not susceptable to.

It would seem that the British were no better in their own backyard than they
were in India.  The following is from notes I made on a trip to Ireland a few
years ago:

August 9th, 2000, Tralee

We spent the night of the seventh at Clonacilty in a not bad, not too good
hotel infested by millions of children of all ages, along with their grumpy,
rather overwhelmed parents.  The day before we had gone to Skibbereen in the
southwest corner of Ireland.  We had parked the car and walked a very long way
to the old Abbeystrewery graveyard where, under a well tended lawn, some 9,000
victims of the great famine are buried.  The burial place must have been a huge
pit perhaps seventy feet long by some fifty feet wide, and God knows how deep.
Probably, the last burials were pretty close to the surface.

Skibbereen, according to the local tourist literature, was the epicenter of the
great famine.  From what I've read, there was a workhouse not far from the
graveyard.  It would have been where many of the victims gathered in the hope
of getting some relief or something to eat.

It seemed that famine relief was tied to work.  You don't work, you get no
relief.  To get relief without working was, in the British view, against "the
natural order of things".  The British believed that payment of any kind had to
be linked to work.  God Himself had ordained it.  If you were lucky, the
workhouse provided  you with "public work" -  probably fixing up roads, or
clearing away unwanted vegetation or digging ditches.  All of these things may
have been useful, though probably unnecessary, and were likely very hard work
to people suffering the effects of famine.  The men, women and children who
were doing them were paid a subsistence wage, and were probably continually
being reminded that they were a burden on society.

However, paying them was not the problem of the British government.  The burden
was placed on the local (British) landlords, with each landlord being expected
to contribute in some proportion to the number of tenants he had.  To reduce
their own burden, the landlords evicted many of their tenants, who were then no
longer entitled to help from the workhouse.  To reduce their burden even
further, many of the landlords simply refused to pay their share.  It wasn't
their  problem that the Irish had far too many babies, and had become hooked on
potatoes.  And it certainly wasn't their fault that the potato crop had failed.
 Besides, the whole thing could be viewed as the "natural order" restoring
itself.

Ed