Following up on my  “why we call it Citizen’s Income” piece  and
reactions to it and other  ideas  people have put across; I don’t
have any specific problem with anything anyone is saying.  But  I do
not think much is going to come of these discussions.

It is as I said;  the people interested in a guaranteed income do not
know enough yet.  Therefore, a  nation wide  organisation to promote
a Citizen’s Income  is not going to happen just yet.  There is a lot
of educating which has to be done, as well as some researching as to
how best to promote  to the public a new type of society.

And, sorry folks,  talking about a guaranteed income or basic income
in isolation from everything else is not going to go anywhere. I
think I have had more experience than most people  on this list at
talking up the concept with   various  kinds of people. I also know a
little about framing. I would like to know a lot more.

Any kind of guaranteed income is a direct contradiction to the frame
or paradigm  most North Americans have had rammed into their heads
from a very early age. There simply are no answers to the objections
to be raised about a  BI-GAI  within that frame.  You have to break
the frame.

For example, you cannot argue  for a demogrant  from fairness.  What
you get back is that  a bigai will be very unfair to  the people who
will have to work harder to  support the people who  are ‘not pulling
their weight’.  Some people with a philosophic bent are calling this
the ‘lazy versus crazy’ or ‘free rider’ problem.  It is unanswerable
on its own terms.

The  answer to all this is; “Nobody has any ‘weight’ to pull. There
is  enough of every necessity for everybody. People who are working
harder are doing so because they want to or believe they have to.
There is no sense at all to keeping everybody working  40-60 hour
weeks when  all material needs can be satisfied  with less than a
twenty hour work week.

In the ‘lazy versus crazy’ parable, crazy is crazy not because she is
working twice as hard to carry lazy, but because she  is wasting
the limited resources on their little desert island.

But the real world is not  one of these little castaway islands
beloved by economics debaters.  We left the  neolithic age behind
long ago.  We live in a sophisticated technological society with
finished goods several stages removed from the resources  extracted
in making them.  The technological machine has made it possible for
us to produce everything we need with little effort  but we cannot
make the mental adjustment to a world of leisure and abundance.  We
still act like neolithic people.

We have  about fifty years to make  the mental changeover.  Then  we
and  environmental contamination all around us is not  going to be
solved by some modifications to  the existing economic structure.
Talking about sustainable development is nonsense,  there is nothing
which can be ‘developed’ indefinitely.

The breakdown of the natural environment is happening because we  are
trying to take out of it more than it can give. The solution is to
take less.  That means an end to the present economic system which
depends on constant growth and the reification of money.  Reification
is the fallacy of making a thing out of an abstract idea. Money is an
abstract idea.

We are going to  organise a steady state economy, in which production
is limited to what we can reasonably get from  the natural world
given our technological level. This is going to happen one way or
another. We are going back to the middle ages or we are going to
develop a  kind of very big co-operative.

Now, what are you nattering at me about communism for? Who told you
what communism is? Who told you what anarchism means? Who told you
what libertarianism means? Who told you what democracy is?

The government of China still calls itself communist.  It is a
totalitarian state running a system of state capitalism and beating
the hell out of the  private  capitalists on this continent.  It has
as much to do with communism as  the United States has to do with
free markets or the vatican has to do with christianity; nothing.

Any time communism, or cooperativism because it means the same thing
in effect, has had a chance to work, it has worked very well. So well
in fact, that extreme efforts are  always made to stop it; for
example, in the old Soviet Union under Stalin.

Yes, capitalism has worked very well for awhile, or corporatism, a
much better word for it;  the control of society by and for large
interests.  Then it destroys the  base on which it depends, because
it requires constant growth in a finite world.  However the world is
going to be run in the future, it will not be by  a system requiring
interest  on money which must be repaid with wealth that does not
exist when the  credit is issued.

Nobody knows exactly how a steady state industrial economy would
work, because  one has never been tried. But there is no choice but
to find a way.  And  before  new ways  of running an economy can be
found,  those with  a big investment in the outgoing system  have to
be moved out of the way.  And there  are plenty of good ideas about
how to make such a system work. They have to be tested.

But while all this is going on people need to live.  People will be
much more ready to accept experimentation and change in  the economic
system once we get acceptance of the principle  that people have a
right to a basic security of the person.  It is in the constitution
of the country; security of the person.   If it does not mean
security from being thrown out on the street because the economic
machine declines to  employ you, then what does it mean?”

Well, I could go on and on, but you can see how it works; you have to
know what you are talking about. You have to have a very clear
picture in your mind of what you are  advocating.

And a bigai simply cannot be sold  separately; it is too much  at
odds  with the entire framework of conventional thinking. It  can
only be sold as part of a set; a different  system of  thinking
about  the world.

And by the way,  orthodox Leninist communists are as rabidly hostile
to  the idea of a citizen’s income as any capitalist.  “What? That is
just another ‘reformist’ trick for pacifying people so they do not
‘struggle’ and put the revolutionary party in power. And when  the
revolution is achieved, people will have to work like hell to produce
more armaments than the  imperialist powers...”

I hope  people  on these lists who are  in or near Toronto can make
it to the  Social Forum at Ryerson (55 Gould at 7 pm) on the 26th,
and start getting some idea of what is going on in the world beyond
colonial Canada. Then, you will have something to answer back  when
you get into  debates about the truisms of the established order.

You have to know what you are talking about.

tr

A Citizen's Income is  "a just income paid to everyone without
condition and as a right of citizenship".