From: Ed Weick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sun 2/17/2008 7:48 AM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; Darryl or Natalia
Cc: futurework
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Fw: [Ottawadissenters] Another book one shouldn'tread!

I don't think we disagree, Arthur, at least not strongly.  You say: "I think
its the job of those who are appointed to positions of power, police officers,
firefighters, elected officials to act in the public interest."

I agree, but you raise many questions.  Most importantly, what is the public
interest and who defines it? Is it, for example, Harper acting through the PMO?
 There are various publics, which raises the question of which ones our elected
and appointed officials should most strongly give their attention to.  In
Harper's case how should he weigh and balance the interests of the Alberta oil
patch versus street people in our largest cities, or for that matter Ontario
auto parts makers versus the oil patch?

And one can't ignore the fact that political parties are corporate entities
whose prime interest is remaining in power and not necessarily helping you or
me even if, to remain in power, they have to appear to be useful to the public.

I read Reich's final chapter very quickly, but I rather liked his message that
democracy belongs to everybody and if it has been captured by "elites", storm
the ramparts and take it back.  But of course I recognize that we're not going
to do that and he probably does too.

Ed