Another sad and largely unnoticed aspect to the US housing bubble below.
Though US Blacks and Latinos no doubt knew they were being steered into
sub-prime instead of prime rates at an occurrence rate far higher than
their white income level equivalents, the lure of home ownership was
often realized in whatever form it came. A staggering example of the
officers of the elites exercising extortionate controls.

Though I agree with Harry's land value analysis, I also agree with Ed
that this bubble is different, for many reasons--primarily related to
the US war/debtor economy, which, in my view, was designed by those who
knew they would profit by continuing to allow Bush 43 to remain in power.

One could say the masses have allowed Bush to keep the power, but the
right to peaceful assembly has been almost wiped out. Demands for
accountability result in tighter controls and increased plans for urban
control. Elected officials, just like police and others, are pawns of
the elite, like Arthur pointed out. Corrections to most problems seem to
occur only once there is no other extortionate option left available to
the elites. Trying to make change at the local level, unless one is a
developer, is pretty hopeless. Laws are passed without public discussion
both municipally and federally. Just today an agreement was made by
US/Canadian military to allow either side the right to come and help one
another in the event of an emergency. The trick is that the US cannot be
given orders by anyone other than its own country's command. Where does
that leave Canada??? No discussion in parliament whatsoever, yet
military, and specifically US military, somehow has this control of our
"well-being".

BC government just created a new false green budget, essentially giving
more tax breaks to oil industry, and taxing the rest of us to subsidize
same to search for more oil. Billions in profits deserve billions more?
The announcement of upcoming increments to oil and gas, which gave
magical license to gas stations to raise gas by another 6 cents
immediately even before additional scheduled government increments,
spurred Hydro to ask for a 25% increase. That's fair, right? Escalating
oil prices will affect far more than just transportation. Included in
the budget package--$100 to each resident, not unlike the Bush stimulus
package to get people to spend, but called a carbon tax rebate.
Obviously, it's a disguised similar stimulus because they know we're
also heading for a recession, and therefore must follow the faulty US
logic of spending what you don't really have to try to shore up the
economy while your party is still in power giving out our money to
industry not at all green, rather than investing in greening up the
industry we have, or getting serious about alternative energy.

The US can't look at the obvious of stopping a war that has drained the
treasury, can't look to saving the infrastructure and creating jobs
thereby. Can't think of raising interest rates because the bubble will
explode. Must never restore value to currency, or both the public and
the lending institutions will suffer. Can't impeach elected officers
because everyone who voted for the war in Congress could be liable for
criminal support of the Iraq war and the Patriot Act, and every illegal
undertaking tied to same.

Ed, what is your solution? You say it is the people who have given these
greedy corporations the power, yet also admit that silence serves those
who might need a job. Elected officials are corporate puppets. You don't
get elected without money or the willingness to bend to corporate
influence. Perhaps it takes being unemployed and hopeless to have the
time and freedom, when you're not scrounging for food and shelter, to
organize an effective protest, but being taken seriously, without being
arrested or Tasered, has seen its day.

That was an interesting account of Chicago's land valuation, and I look
forward to a similar cyclical correction in the Greater Victoria area in
another 2-3 years. Houses are moving more slowly now, though prices are
still climbing. Here land is scarce, but any mouldy stucco 70's shack on
a small lot worth $200,000 gets an extra $250,000 for having what is
referred to as a capital improvement. These are bought as rentals or
tear-downs. Realtors, in their own best interests project nothing but
growth, and of course contribute to the coming bubble with their
poisonous false optimism spread to investors. Many here bought with
nothing down or have very low equity. The crunch is inevitable. We will
also be highly affected by the failing US economy in a variety of
ominous ways. High food and commodity costs because of droughts and high
diesel to start, then fewer tourists, then increases in defense to keep
out desperate Americans trying to escape a bad economic and political
climate come to mind first.

Any sages out there? I think things are far too complicated and laced
with red tape for change. I suspect Harry has the right idea to sit back
and let things just happen as they will. I'm not  optimistic that things
can restore themselves as easily as in the past, and anticipate much
longer correction periods, but perhaps Harry feels the same on this point.

Natalia

ILLEGAL DISCRIMINATION HELPED FUEL SUBPRIME CRISIS

KATRINA VANDEN HEUVEL & GREG KAUFMAN, THE NATION - [Jesse] Jackson points to
the targeting and steering of African-Americans and Latinos who were qualified
for prime loans into risky subprime mortgages . . . "Redlining was to not loan
to certain areas," he said. "This is what amounts to reverse-redlining -
steering black and brown borrowers into subprime who were eligible for prime.
That's out and out breaking discrimination laws."

In 2005 and 2006, over 50% of all loans made to African- Americans, and over
40% to Latinos, were subprime - compared to only 19% of white borrowers. Martin
Gruenberg, vice chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, said at
the Rainbow PUSH Coalition's Wall Street Economic Summit in January, "Only
one-sixth of this differential could be accounted for by the ability of the
borrower." Analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data shows that African-
Americans and Latinos in New York City, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and
other cities were two to three times more likely to have subprime, high-cost
loans than white borrowers with similar incomes and loan amounts.

The New York Times has reported on two neighborhoods in the Detroit area - one
97 percent white with a median income of $51,000, another 97 percent
African-American with a median income of $49,000. In 2006, 17 percent of the
loans made in the white neighborhood were subprime, compared to 70 percent of
the loans in the predominately African-American neighborhood. Illinois Attorney
General Lisa Madigan recently pointed out on National Public Radio, "An
African-American earning more than $100,000 was more likely than a white person
who earned less than $35,000 to be put in a high-cost, [subprime] loan. . .
Clearly there is discrimination going on." The Times also reported that "around
90 percent of subprime loans originated between 2004 and 2006 carried exploding
adjustable rates. Some 70 percent of subprime loans have prepayment penalties,
versus 2 percent of prime loans. . .  " . . .

It is now estimated that 2.2 million subprime home loans have already failed or
will end in foreclosure - the highest foreclosure rate since the Depression -
with a total equity loss of $164 billion. . .

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/edcut?bid=7&pid=287768

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080223-0, 02/23/2008
Tested on: 2/23/2008 9:55:09 PM