-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrice Riemens
Sent: March 11, 2008 11:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: <nettime> Globalisation Rulez? 100 Indian shipyard workers walk out
in Missisipi

Globalisation of the workforce always been a bit abstract to you? Here a
concrete instance of it...

from SAJA Forum/bwo Goanet
original: http://www.sajaforum.org/2008/03/human-rights-ov.html#more

HUMAN RIGHTS: Over 100 Indian shipyard workers stage walk out in Mississippi

For several months I've been seeing mention of a job opening for a
Malayalam-and-Hindi speaking paralegal at the Southern Poverty Law Center,
in Alabama. I couldn't imagine what the exact need was, but much as I tried,
I couldn't get a full answer from the people at SPLC. Clearly, there was
some sort of litigation in the works and they didn't want to tip their hand.
All they could say was that there an "increasing number of Indian
guestworkers seeking assistance from our office with labor trafficking and
exploitation as part of a larger trend that involves recruiting workers from
farther away and charging increased recruitment fees."

Today, we appear to have our answer. Over a hundred Indian H2B workers at a
shipyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi staged a walkout this morning. The
shipyard is run by Signal International, and the workers contend they've
been lured into a human trafficking ring created by the company in the
aftermath of Katrina, which resulted in a severe worker shortage. They plan
to "report themselves to the Department of Justice as victims of
trafficking, and demand federal prosecution of Signal."

The walkout was covered by WLOX-TV (click to see a small image of the
walkout), and describes workers symbolically throwing their hardhats over a
fence (picture from flickr) and then singing "We Shall Overcome" in their
"native language." It quotes Saket Soni of the New Orleans Workers' Center
for Racial Justice, who served as an interpreter for the workers:

    They talk of living "like pigs in a cage" in a company-run "work camp."

    "I've been a guest worker all my life. I've never seen these kinds of
conditions," said the interpreter, "We lived 24 people to a room. And for
this, the company deducted $1,050 a month from our paychecks."

The workers say they paid $20,000 each in order to come to America. One of
the workers, Sabulal Vijayan (a Malayali, presumably), tried to organize his
fellow workers last year and was fired. He then attempted suicide.

Here's more from a press release sent to me by Stephen Boykewich, who works
with Soni at the New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice:

    "The chain began in 2006 when recruiters in New Orleans and Bombay,
together with Signal, a Northrop Grumman subcontractor, used the
post-Katrina labor shortage in the Gulf Coast to create a trafficking racket
within the guest worker program that President George W. Bush wants to
expand.

    "Each of us paid $15,000 to $20,000. They promised us green cards and
permanent residency, and instead gave us ten-month visas and made us live
like animals in company trailers, 24 to a room," said former Signal employee
Sabulal Vijayan. "We were trapped between an ocean of debt at home and
constant threats of deportation from our bosses in Mississippi."

    When the workers began to organize last year, Signal sent armed guards
to detain and fire the organizers. A year later, Signal workers are taking
action to protect future workers.

    "The recruiters who defrauded us are collecting money from other workers
right now with the same false promises. We are speaking out to protect
them," said Vijayan, who has testified before a Congressional subcommittee
investigating post-Katrina labor violations on the Gulf Coast.

    "The US State Department calls it 'a repulsive crime' when recruiters
and employers in other parts of the world bind guest workers with crushing
debts and threats of deportation," said Saket Soni, director of the New
Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice. "his is precisely what is
happening on the gulf Coast."

    The actions will continue through the weekend and next week, so there
will be strong opportunities for coverage after tomorrow...

Signal has denied the charges and issued a statement in which it says it
spent over $7 million to house the workers.

WLOX-TV appears to be the only media outlet to have covered the walkout. For
more information, contact Stephen Boykewich at 504-655-0876. Or email him at
spboykewich[at]gmail.com

Here's are some of the media outlets who picked up on the story after
reading this post:

    * ABC News: "Revolt in Mississippi - Indian Workers Claim 'Slave
Treatment'"
    * The Hindustan Times: "Indians treated 'like pigs' in US" (from their
front page)
    * The Times of India
    * Newindpress

Posted by Arun Venugopal at 08:16 PM in Human Rights

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission #
<nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism, #  collaborative
text filtering and cultural politics of the nets #  more info:
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

!DSPAM:2676,47d6cd36227561685289611!