Good morning, Mike,

In 1990 and in 1991, I had the pleasure of meeting the head of the artist
blacksmiths in what was then the USSR. He had an almost mystical rapport
with his craft, and viewed the metaphor of beating raw iron into beautiful
and useful objects as an apt metaphor for the transformation and
reconstruction of Russia that was then underway with Gorbachev. I visited
his home a few times; as you can imagine, it was quite a place.

Lawry