[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You make it seem that Americanization is an exogenous force.  It isn't.  The
> people seem to want it.  Or at least enough want it that it has come to pass
> as "progress."
>
> Or, perhaps, Americanization more in the form of an addiction.  You get some
> and you want more.  Until.....
[snip]

This argument doesn't cut the mustard.  Because, if it is
true, then we would not be so monomaniacally "exercised" over
persons' consumption of medijuana.

Advertising executives talk out of both sides of their
mouths: Advertising doesn't influence people {e.g., to
smoke cigarettes}, but advertising can be justified on
the basis of its ROI.  I doubt there
are many ad men who know Parmenides' words from
the 5th(6th?) century BCE:

    Most men are two-headed, believing at the same time
    that what-is is not, and also that what-is-not is.

And, of course, if they do know it -- if I may refer to
my quote from Sophocles this morning --, it's obvious to them
that it applies only to others and not to themselves.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/