Brad,

They hardly make station wagons any longer. I've had my Toyota Camry
station wagon for 7 years and have just completed a 3,500 mile vacation
into the Pacific Northwest - coming back via Idaho and Las Vegas. Much of
the journey was at speeds of 80 plus in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees.

I should have changed the oil before I left. I couldn't remember the last
time I changed it, so it was probably ready. Now we are back, I shall
change it.

I have 7 seats with seat belts, or lots of room in the back. It has 4
cylinders and doesn't have 4 wheel drive. But, it still gets something a
little less than 30 to the American gallon (36 to the imperial gallon?).

You'll have to look for me in the parking lot for my roof is a couple of
feet below the roofs of the SUVs around me. Yet, there is plenty of room
inside.

Two of my daughters have SUVs and they wouldn't part with them. They love
them, perhaps because they feel safe in them and the cars behave well on
the road.

Chris, there are plenty of alternatives to SUVs in the US.  Yet, people
without our perceptiveness are conned by a sly mix of coercion, PR, bribery
and addiction.

However, could it be that the SUVs are enjoyed by those who buy them? Might
they have checked with others who own them, find they are liked and decide
to look at one for themselves?

The best form of transport for Los Angeles and many other American cities
is the automobile. I certainly wouldn't criticize people who decide to get
the best car they can afford and which will give them enjoyment while they
ride.

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655