Hi Karen,

Thanks for posting "The New Diaspora" by Moisés Naím. That was most
interesting. I was aware of some of the positive economic side-effects but
I hadn't realised how significant they already were.

Keith

<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_julyaug_2002/missing_links.html>
> [...]
>This is not your parents' diaspora. Globalization has greatly expanded the
>means through which people in one country can remain actively involved in
>another country's cultural, economic, and political life. In fact, money
>transfers, travel and communications, networks and associations of nationals
>living abroad, and other new or improved opportunities for expatriates to
>"live" in one country even as they reside in another may be creating a
>powerful tool for development.
>Moreover, the deregulation of international financial markets coupled with
>new technologies has made sending money back home easier and cheaper than
>ever. Last year, people residing abroad sent home more than $100 billion.
>For many families, the money sent by family members overseas spells the
>difference between relative poverty and total indigence. That goes for many
>countries, too. Worker remittances account for 24 percent of Nicaragua's
>gross domestic product, 19.6 percent of India's, and 6.5 percent of
>Morocco's. In Mexico, remittances are the third largest source of foreign
>exchange after oil exports and tourism. And in Turkey, they are four times
>larger than the country's inflows of foreign direct investment. In most
>developing countries, remittances are far larger than funds received through
>official development assistance or foreign portfolio investment. In fact,
>many expatriate communities routinely organize events to raise money for
>projects in their home countries.
>
>But the impact of these economic ties goes well beyond supporting individual
>relatives or helping rebuild the local school. For example, surveys show
>that about 10 percent of Hispanic immigrants in the United States also trade
>with their home countries. In fact, the engagement of immigrants in
>international trade can have a significant economic impact. As James E.
>Rauch writes in the December 2001 Journal of Economic Literature, over time
>"a 10 percent increase in immigrants to the United States will increase U.S.
>exports to the country of origin by 4.7 percent and U.S. imports from the
>country of origin by 8.3 percent." Rauch also reports that in Canada a 10
>percent increase in immigrants from a given country eventually increases
>Canadian exports to that country by 1.3 percent and imports from there by
>3.3 percent.
>Good morning, Keith,
>Anecdotally, this jibes with my own observations. During the course of a
>day's interaction with professionals in the US (say, Philadelphia,
>Pennsylvania, and Durham, North Carolina) I is not uncommon to run into
>15-20 percent foreign-born, based on accent. The interesting thing is that
>it is not evident whether they have become American citizens or not - and
>the even more interesting thing is that no one cares about this. Perhaps
>that is why America is the destination of choice for so many of what we
>could call the world's well-educated 'mobility.'

Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]