BANK TO TOP-UP PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
TEACHERS LEAVING
FROM PRIMARY TO SECONDARY
THE FOREIGN STUDENT INDUSTRY
INTERNATIONAL DEMAND FOR NURSES GROWS
LONGER WORKING LIFE
MEXICANS WAVE (GOODBYE) TO JOBS
SOMAVIA: GLOBAL JOBS DEFICIT

The latest Jobs Letter is now freely available on the internet at
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm

or download as a PDF file (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) at
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/pdf/jbl170.pdf

E X E C U T I V E   S U M M A R Y

* Our Diary of key events over the last few weeks — Winz has a
record number of people finding jobs, research jobs cut, new factory
in Mangere, employers doing more criminal record checks, Maori
less likely to get a Special Benefit, Pacific Island women worst
affected by student loans, and much more ....
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#diary

* The latest employment figures from Statistics NZ show job growth
has continued this last quarter and at 5.1%, the unemployment rate
is at the lowest in 14 years. This issue contains our regular
summary of Statistics That Matter.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#stm

* Striking a balance between work and home life is the issue most
important to workers and a significant factor in staff turnover.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#overwork

* WestpacTrust is now providing its employees with a top-up to the
government paid-parental leave scheme.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#ppl

* Most of the new secondary school teachers who quit their jobs are
leaving teaching altogether or taking up teaching positions
overseas.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#teachers

* Plans are in place to train primary school teachers to teach in
secondary schools.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#secondary

* Foreign students are now a $1.1 billion industry, our ninth largest
foreign currency earner, and are subsidising NZ schools.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#fee-paying

* The US health industry sets out to recruit a one million nurses.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#nurses

* The workforce participation rate for older workers has increased
over the last decade and is getting close to that of the general
population.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#participation

* Unemployment continues to rise in Mexico as manufacturers
relocate to Asia where labour is cheaper.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#mexico

* The ILO estimates that about 500 million new jobs will need to be
created in developing countries over the next decade just to
accommodate youths and women entering the workforce.
     http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/index.htm#ilo

C R E D I T S
-------------------------------------
ISSN No. 1172-6695
edited by Dave Owens for the Jobs Research Trust
P.O.Box 428, New Plymouth, New Zealand
phone 06-753-4434 fax 06-753-4430
email — [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Associates — Vivian Hutchinson, Rodger Smith, and Jo Howard
Secretary — Shirley Vickery

T H E   J O B S   L E T T E R
is an essential information and media watch
on jobs, employment,  unemployment, the future of work,
and related economic and education issues.

The Jobs Research Trust is a not-for-profit Charitable Trust
constituted in 1994 to develop and  distribute information
that will help our communities create more jobs and reduce
unemployment and poverty in New Zealand.

Kia taea ai te tangata te whiwhi mahi
ahakoa ki whea, ahakoa ko wai.
Our objective is that every New Zealander will have the
opportunity to be in paid work.

visit the award-winning Jobs Research Website
http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/

U N S U B S C R I B E