Arthur,

Doesn't seem important to me.

To find what you have bought, all they need do is compare your credit card number with your sales slip.

If they did find out what everyone was buying, what good would it do them?

To find out where tires were made, have a symbol stamped on the tire showing its origination.

I think that this simply gives those who want to be apoplectic an opportunity to be so,

Arthur wrote:

Here is some background.

==================================

COMPUTER IDENTIFICATION (RFID) TAGS IN PRODUCTS

A number of new consumer products from companies such as Gillette, Procter
& Gamble, and Prada will come with embedded RFID (radio frequency
identification) "tags" (actually, tiny computer chips), that will contain
scannable information such as the product's serial number. The goal is to
dramatically improve inventory processes, and other big companies poised to
join the RFID movement are Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Home Depot
and Target. Within a year or two RFID tags will be included in all kinds of
products, including Michelin and Goodyear tires (to tell where a tire was
made). Privacy groups are expressing fears that thieves will buy or make
chip scanners that can crack security controls to scan shoppers' bags and
know what they bought. (USA Today 28 Jan 2003)
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-01-27-rfid_x.htm

E-tags in clothes raise PRIVACY/SURVEILLANCE concerns
THE prospect of embedding tiny chips into personal items and merchandise has
watchdog groups raising concerns over privacy and security. Embedded
processor technologies, such as RFID, or radio frequency identification,
will allow companies that use the system to keep consumer belongings under
surveillance in stores, in homes and on the street. A Gartner analyst has
predicted a hidden interface between computers and physical objects would
become a widespread phenomenon starting in 2007 and privacy issues would be
inevitable, although not necessarily dramatic. Gartner's Paolo Magrassi said
RFID tags, or e-tags, were already used in a number of applications, from
hazardous waste management to livestock tracking and feeding, as well as in
electronic toll collection, inventory management and logistics. He said
applications, such as tags in airline tickets and boarding passes and in
clothes, shoes, jewellery and banknotes, would be practical but would lead
to serious privacy concerns.   ( Source:
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5861056%5E15321%5E%5Enbv%5E1
5306,00.html

-----Original Message----- From: Stephen Straker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 8:58 AM To: futurework Subject: Re: [Futurework] Wal-Mart - Little Brother

> WAL-MART EMBEDDING > RADIO FREQUENCY ID SENSORS > INTO CERTAIN RETAIL PRODUCTS ... > These chips, researched at M.I.T.'s Auto-ID Center are > about the size of a grain of sand. Chipsters say the > technology will only be used to help retailers keep track > of inventory --- like bar codes. But privacy-loving > consumers question the very concept of a device that sends > out radio waves to "readers" that not only identify the > article, but where and with whom it's going.

!!??? This has to be a paranoid hoax of some kind ... Or
have I fallen so far behind that I don't realize that it's
obsolete to ask how in the world a thing the size of a grain
of sand could find the energy to broadcast rf waves to
anybody even if across the room?

Inquiring old minds want to know.

Stephen Straker

**************************************************** Harry Pollard Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles Box 655 Tujunga CA 91042 Tel: (818) 352-4141 -- Fax: (818) 353-2242 http://home.attbi.com/~haledward ****************************************************

---