Depends on who is in charge:  Christine Whitman or John Poindexter?

Or maybe this is Bush’s way of making it up to the environmentally-conscious American voter, without having to mispronounce the word “Kyoto” all the time.  Smile.

- KWC

US to call for system monitoring the environment

By Clive Cookson in Washington, FT.com, June 26, 2003 @ http://www.nytimes.com/financialtimes/business/FT1054966381075.html

The US is to urge the world's governments to set up an "integrated Earth observation system" to "take the pulse of the planet". It would combine satellite and ground-based observations of weather, climate, vegetation and other environmental indicators.

The Bush administration is to hold an Earth Observation Summit in Washington this summer to which it hopes the G8 group of industrialised countries will send cabinet-level representatives.

Some observers see the July 31 summit as an effort by the administration to improve its international environmental credentials, in response to charges that it is not taking global warming seriously enough.

Admiral Conrad Lautenbacher, head of the US National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration and a prime mover behind the summit, told the FT: "We need more observing to support climate policy as well as other environmental challenges. We are still very much engaged in working internationally on this issue."

Parts of a global Earth observation system already exist, including weather and other remote sensing satellites and scientific buoys on the ocean surface, but today's arrangements are fragmentary compared with the US vision of the integrated system of the future. The summit will set up a working group to draw up a 10-year implementation plan.

The whole system will require an investment of billions of dollars though it has not been formally costed. Just completing comprehensive coverage of the ocean surface with floating monitors would cost an estimated $500m (?435m, £301m).

Admiral Lautenbacher said the investment would deliver great economic benefits. "We already receive an excellent return on our weather services. For example, farmers get an estimated $15 of value out of every dollar spent on forecasting the weather," he said. "Imagine the benefits of being able to make reliable forecasts of future climate - and relate these to biological changes."

The first steps to establishing an integrated Earth observation system are likely to involve existing national and international bodies, such as the World Meteorological Organisation, working more closely together and with better arrangements for sharing data. In the longer run an entirely new international organisation might be set up.

The integrated Earth observation system might even provide conclusive evidence that climate change is a real and urgent global problem.