Keith Hudson wrote:

Hi Karen,

I can't possibly comment on the American overtime scene, but what I do know is that it has been a racket in England for a long time. Initially in industry 20-40 years ago, but now common in the public services.

Let us remember St. Erving of Goffman, the great student of real human relations under conditions distorted by asymmetrical social power (e.g., his book _Asylums_, where he studied how mental patients "worked the system" in mental hospitals).

I think it's to be expected that wherever persons are
subjected to a system, they will look for ways to "work"
it (like water seeks for fissures in the container that holds it).
The best ways to work a system, of course, are ones that
use its rules against themselves, but often a person
does not discover any such...)....

There is, perhaps, one exception: those whose positions
come with perks built-in, like CxOs whose lunches *are*
business expenses.  Of course even these persons
sometimes try to work the system (despite the fact
that the system is already working for them...).  "The
public" does not look favorably on executives who are not
content with their "legitimate" emoluments of office
and "cook the books" for "personal gain" -- as if they
weren't getting more than enough personal gain from their
positions de jure!  I think there must be some
persons who are "sick" -- such as millionaires who
get caught shoplifting instead of just paying
for what they want from their bottomless pockets.

    "Many things are strange, but strangest of all is man...."
                 (--Sophocles, _Antigone_, "Ode to Man")

\brad mccormick

In the 70s when I worked for 20 years in the automobile industry in Coventry I saw one automobile firm after another (five altogether) go into bankruptcy because of overtime rackets and incompetent management who hadn't the nerve to stop it.

In the factory in which I worked, we made more farm tractors than any other factory in the world -- about 2,000 a day (1200 on day shift, 800 at night). The overtime racket was such that the typical worker earned more than his foreman, and more than at least one management level above him. I had a staff of 120 chemists, metallurgists and engineering inspectors and earned less than any of them. (I compensated by delegating every last bit of my job, and I spent my time reading. I reckon I'd read my way through the equivalent of two or three university degrees during that period. Unfortunately, not economics. I've had to learn that in old age since joining Futurework!)

Just how much of a racket it was was revealed during Edward Health's Prime Ministership in the 70s when the coal miners went on strike. After the coal stockpiles went down, power stations were reduced to only three days a week of producing electricity. Thus, at Massey-Ferguson, five large factory workshops, each the size of four football fields, were thus without power and were silent for two days a week. You would imagine therefore that the production of tractors would have gone down from 10,000 a week to 8,000, wouldn't you?

You would be wrong. We produced just as many as we normally did for as long as the coal strike lasted. And how was that? you may well ask. The reason why was that, in normal times, the machine tools and the assembly track were only producing about 80% of what they were capable of during the week. The machine tools were kept running (and consuming electricity) while they weren't producing so that the managers could hear them running and pretend that that they were working normally. The assembly track was run at 80% of its optimum speed but, once again, the managers would pretend that it was running normally.

The workers, of course, were saving the balance for the week-end. They'd all come in on a Saturday at double-time pay and polish off the remaining 20%. That's why, for as long as the three-day week lasted, it actually made no difference at all to final production numbers. The workers didn't earn overtime for this period, of course, but at least they took home basic pay.

Government postal workers today also have their overtime rackets. Letters that are received at the local sorting office on a Friday night shift for Saturday delivery are not sorted but divided into two lots. One lot is sorted for delivery the next morning; the second lot is sorted during overtime on Saturday for Monday delivery. There is, of course, "normal" overtime for letters that arrive at the sorting office during the week-end for Monday delivery -- but of course it isn't delivered on Monday but on Tuesday. Sometimes my subscription Economist which should be delivered on Friday, doesn't get delivered until Monday or even Tuesday. But by then I've usually bought another copy from a shop. So the Economist frequently does well out of the postal workers!

As far as I can judge, overtime is probably a racket everywhere, and it sounds as though it's well grounded in America, too! But I'm surprised that it is a matter for legislation. Good management and responsible trade unions are the answer, not legislation. If only the workers would realise that in fiddling overtime they're actually diminishing their case for a better basic wage. Over the longer term they're probably no better off financially for losing their leisure time. But that's part of man's irrationality in economic matters.

Keith Hudson