Kind of interesting.  I had never thought about
things quite the way this person described a recent
experience (I paraphrase from memory):

"Hey, Mik [that was my nickname back then]!  You
might find this one interesting.  I just couldn't
keep up the pretense, and I wasn't thinking and
I said something I shouldn't have. Then I realized
I'd blown it, and 'Damn!' --
*this* is what coming out of the closed feels
like, Oh God!"

I had not thought this pro-gun anti-wimp person
was gay, but I figured anything is possible in our
sublunary realm....  My old friend continued:

"It was a deadline day at work, and at 4 o'clock my
manager gives me this thing to do that I know I
can't do right at this time of a long day.  So I
blew it and told him I couldn't do it right
right then.  I said I could kludge something up for him
that he could put into the deadline and then the testers
would find the bugs and we could fix them.  I said I'd
be glad to come in the next morning [Saturday] to work
on it.  I just kept digging myself in
deeper and deeper.  He just froze me out: He was
too busy to talk to me.

"I managed to get
through Saturday and this [Sunday] morning
by focussing intensely
on doing one productive thing or another, but I
just wanted to get depressed I'm so afraid.  Now
I think I know how gays feel when they come out
of the closet.  Yeah.  You just don't act like
you're not busting your ass to get everything
in for the deadline even if it's just likely going to
screw up, and you always try to get all
your work done ahead of the deadline to
avoid precisely this kind of pressure.

"I think 'Don't ask, don't
tell' is about the best you can hope for.  And I
should have just put my head down and did what
I could (you know me -- I did that anyway...), and then
after an hour or so, I could have pleaded exhaustion (I'm
still not over my bronchitis, anyway...).  You know,
Mik, I'm not good at 'politics': I need a
Secretary of State to run interference for me....
I'm not looking forward to Monday.  Yeah, Mik: 'Don't
ask, don't tell.'...."

I haven't heard any more from my old friend yet about how
his Monday went, but he's a good person and
I wish him very much the best!

"Yours in discourse...."

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]