El Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:14:01 +0100
"seventh guardian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

> It doesn't look good either, but I have no idea on how this should be
> done.. I will remove the arabic translation for now, hoping someone
> will do it right eventually..

I think the only "right" solution, is the total migration to utf8, in
which regards the po/ directory. Of course, that implies that to
manipulate the files, you will need an unicode capable environment. But
it is the only way that you can edit files with different character
sets without messing it all up. Converting the files to utf8 is trivial
for me, I can easily do that. I can also patch the .po files which have
a different charset, to use utf8. Since it is a technical patch, and
not a proper locale edition, I don't see a reason to regenerate them,
so, original authors and such will still be kept.

I can do that and submit the files into a tarball, so we make sure they
are not messed in the way. But that would only work if the files are
used to substitute the ones in the cvs repository. Any copy paste done
in a non utf8 aware environment or with a non aware editor can mess
them up again.

Anything that's non-utf8 is just not ok when you have to deal with
multiple encodings (for me). Let me know what do you think about the
idea. As you can see, at the current state, this is just a mess:

[snip]
$ for i in *.po; do echo -n $i - ; enca -L none $i; done
fvwm.ar.po -Universal transformation format 8 bits; UTF-8
  Surrounded by/intermixed with non-text data
fvwm.de.po -Unrecognized encoding
fvwm.fr.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmScript.ar.po -7bit ASCII characters
FvwmScript.de.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmScript.fr.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmScript.sv_SE.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmScript.zh_CN.po -Universal transformation format 8 bits; UTF-8
fvwm.sv_SE.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmTaskBar.ar.po -Universal transformation format 8 bits; UTF-8
FvwmTaskBar.de.po -7bit ASCII characters
FvwmTaskBar.fr.po -7bit ASCII characters
FvwmTaskBar.sv_SE.po -Unrecognized encoding
FvwmTaskBar.zh_CN.po -Universal transformation format 8 bits; UTF-8
fvwm.zh_CN.po -Universal transformation format 8 bits; UTF-8
[/snip]

That is, just like the files are in the repo. A complete mess. All the
files should be enconded the same, and the charset line in the po
files, changed to reflect utf8.

Let me know what do you think, and if there is nothing wrong with this,
I will do the job and briefly submit a gzipped tarball to avoid
problems with the encoding getting messed in the way.

-- Jesús Guerrero